What is the Difference Between Matrix Notation and Abstract Matrix Notation?

In summary, matrix notation refers to representing matrices as 2-dimensional arrays of coefficients with respect to a chosen basis, while abstract matrix notation does not involve choosing a basis. This can be seen in the difference between the equations for a matrix multiplication, where matrix notation utilizes a summation symbol and abstract matrix notation simply uses the matrix symbols.
hell18
I've been doing some computational methods work, using matrix notation. I was just wondering what the difference is between matrix notation and abstract matrix notation?

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't think I've seen that term used before, but a brief search on the web on those terms confirms my initial thought.

"Matrix notation" is when you have selected a particular basis (bases) for the vector space (spaces) upon which you're working, and matrices are written as a 2 dimensional array of coefficients with respect to those bases.

"Abstract matrix notation" is when you have not done the above.

For example, suppose you premultiply a vector by a matrix to yield another vector.

In matrix notation, it might look like:

&Sigmaj Aij xj = yi

In abstract matrix notation, it might look like:

A x = y

for reaching out! Matrix notation is a way of representing mathematical operations using matrices, which are rectangular arrays of numbers. It allows for concise and efficient calculations, especially in fields such as linear algebra and statistics. Abstract matrix notation, on the other hand, is a more general and abstract way of representing matrices and their operations. It is often used in more advanced mathematical fields, such as abstract algebra and functional analysis. In abstract matrix notation, matrices are not necessarily limited to numerical values and can represent a wider range of mathematical objects. Overall, the main difference between matrix notation and abstract matrix notation is the level of generality and abstraction in their representations.

What is abstract matrix notation?

Abstract matrix notation is a mathematical system used to represent and manipulate matrices in a more general and abstract way. It is often used in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics and is a useful tool for solving complex problems involving matrices.

How is abstract matrix notation different from standard matrix notation?

Abstract matrix notation differs from standard notation in that it uses letters or symbols to represent matrices, rather than actual numbers. This allows for more flexibility and generality in solving problems, as specific numbers do not need to be used.

What are the benefits of using abstract matrix notation?

Using abstract matrix notation allows for more efficient and elegant solutions to problems involving matrices. It also allows for the generalization of concepts and the ability to apply them to a wider range of scenarios.

What are the limitations of abstract matrix notation?

One limitation of abstract matrix notation is that it can be more difficult to visualize and understand for those who are not familiar with it. It also may not be suitable for all types of problems, as some may require the use of specific numbers rather than symbols.

How can I learn more about abstract matrix notation?

There are many resources available for learning about abstract matrix notation, including textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of standard matrix notation and linear algebra before delving into abstract matrix notation.