Divisibility by 11 in Number Theory

In summary, the problem asks which of the given expressions is also divisible by 11, given that 3x+7y is divisible by 11. The answer is D, 4x-9y, as it can be deduced from the fact that 3x+7y is congruent to 0 mod 11. The conversation also touches on the use of greatest common divisor (GCD) and the importance of being careful when dividing in modular arithmetic.
lhuyvn
Hi again,

how about the below problem, please give me advice.

Let x and y be possitive integers such that 3x+7y is divisible by 11. Which of the following must also be divisible by 11
A. 4x+6y
B. x+y=5
C. 9x+4y
D .4x-9y
E. x+y-1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
my advice is to learn about the highest common factor, or greatest common divisor, and the ideal (gcd(x,y))=(d)={ax+by | a,b in Z}, oh, and notice at least on of them is of a different kind of expression than the others and isnt' even an integer, heck, isn't even a number.

HI

Option B cannot be a valid one since its an equation (pls check).

As 3x + 7y is divisible by 11,

3x + 7y = 11k (for some k)

Clearly, multiples of this "equation" will also be divisible by 11. I can't comment further until you check the validity of the options...

Cheers
Vivek

Yeah Matts right; the GCD idea didn't strike me though :-)

Cheers
Vivek

Last edited:
Hi there,

I found that we could deduce as following.
3x+7y =0 (mod 11)
<=> 8x+4y=0 (mod 11)
<=> 4x+2y=0 (mod 11)
<=>4x-9y=0 (mod 11)

So the answer is D

Thank so much for all your help,

In general, 8x+4y==0 does not imply that 4x+2y==0. But this is true mod an odd number, which is why it works for 11. You probably knew this when you went through that step. If you didn't, this is just a reminder to be careful when you divide !

Your answer is correct.

i too am taking a number theory course and we have just started with modulos. i had a heck of a time learning it until i came here. i think i can do better when i am explaining the info to someone else thus making me remember the information.

BTW! i plan on being a future teacher in mathematics. are there any posts that are devoted to teachers and all? :confused:

Related to Divisibility by 11 in Number Theory

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It involves the study of integers, prime numbers, divisibility, and other related concepts.

2. What are some practical applications of number theory?

Number theory has numerous practical applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and finance for data analysis and problem solving.

3. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. Some examples of prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, and 13.

4. What is the famous unsolved problem in number theory?

The most famous unsolved problem in number theory is the Riemann Hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line of ½. It has been a subject of study for over 160 years and has numerous implications in mathematics and beyond.

5. How is number theory related to other branches of mathematics?

Number theory has connections to many other fields of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, analysis, and combinatorics. It also has applications in areas such as physics, computer science, and cryptography, making it an interdisciplinary subject.