Comparing 16x DVDROM vs 56x CD ROM: Which is Faster?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, a DVD player that can play DVD, MP3 from CD, CCDR, SVCD etc., just costs about 120USD for a branded one.
Saint
CD ROM is up to 56X (Aopen),
but DVDROM is only 16X,
which one is faster? 16xDVDROM or 52xCDROM ?

Why DVDROM is not rated at 52X ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you talking about DVD burners or just the players? I don't know why anyone would want a 16x or above dvd player. I have a 4x player in my computer and I can play any dvd movie flawlessly. There just isn't a need.

The "16x DVD" means the drive can transfer data 16x faster than a normal for a dvd disk (movie). This doesn't say ANYTHING about CD performance. And since they transfer different things, 1x for a cd rom is .15 megabytes/second whereas 1x for a dvd is 1.35 mb/s

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/pdfs/20_10.pdf is a link to a cd-rw/dvd combo drive. It writes cd's at 20x, rewrites cd's at 10x, reads dvd's at 12x and reads cd's at 40x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
Are you talking about DVD burners or just the players? I don't know why anyone would want a 16x or above dvd player. I have a 4x player in my computer and I can play any dvd movie flawlessly. There just isn't a need.
Very good point.
As long as the data transfer per second is more than the size of data of the frames of that second, then the DVD is playing flawlessly.
But ... suppose some day the DVDs are used for other purposes (and they actually are), then it will no more be a matter of number of frames, you will (then) appreciate a faster DVD drive.

But ... suppose some day the DVDs are used for other purposes

Your site STAii, I didn't take data storage into consideration.

in Malaysia,
a DVD player that can play DVD,MP3 from CD, CCDR, SVCD etc.,
just cost about 120USD for a branded one (JVC, philips).

1. Which is faster, a 16x DVDROM or a 56x CD ROM?

The 56x CD ROM is faster than the 16x DVDROM.

2. How does the speed of a 16x DVDROM compare to a 56x CD ROM?

The 56x CD ROM is significantly faster than the 16x DVDROM.

3. What is the difference in speed between a 16x DVDROM and a 56x CD ROM?

The 56x CD ROM has a higher speed than the 16x DVDROM, making it faster.

4. Which one should I choose, a 16x DVDROM or a 56x CD ROM?

The choice between a 16x DVDROM and a 56x CD ROM depends on your specific needs. If you need faster read speeds for larger files, the 56x CD ROM would be a better option. If you primarily use smaller files, the 16x DVDROM may suffice.

5. Are there any other factors to consider besides speed when choosing between a 16x DVDROM and a 56x CD ROM?

Yes, there are other factors to consider such as compatibility with your device, storage capacity, and cost. It is important to research and compare these factors in addition to speed before making a decision.