Divide in space and time component

In summary, you can separate space and time component for two indices, but you are not sure how to do it when there are three indices.
aries0152
For [tex] -\frac{1} {4} F_{\mu\nu} F^{\mu\nu} [/tex] We can write [tex] -\frac{1} {4} F_{i j} F^{ij} -\frac{1}{2}F_{0i} F^{0i} [/tex] Where [tex] F_{\mu\nu} \equiv \partial_\mu W_\nu-\partial_\nu W\mu [/tex]
If there are 3 indices how can I separate them like this?
I want to separate [tex] \frac{1} {12} G_{\mu\nu\rho} G^{\mu\nu\rho} [/tex] into time and space component . Where [tex] G_{\mu\nu\rho}\equiv\partial_{\mu}\phi_{\nu\rho}+ \partial_{\nu}\phi_{\rho\mu}+\partial_{\rho}\phi_{\mu\nu} [/tex]

How can I do it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

What is Φ with two indexes? I have not seen it before. Thank you in advance.

sweet springs said:
Hi.

What is Φ with two indexes? I have not seen it before. Thank you in advance.

[tex] \phi_{\nu\rho} [/tex] is a antisymmetric tensor field.

granpa said:
I don't know the answer to your question but have you looked into clifford algebra?

http://geocalc.clas.asu.edu/

http://www.mrao.cam.ac.uk/~clifford/publications/abstracts/imag_numbs.html

Actually I want to separate this in space and time component. There is some hint in the "Classical Electrodynamics by Jackson" section 11.6

I can separate the space and time component for two indices (like: [tex] F_{\mu\nu} [/tex] ) but I am not sure how to do it when there are three indices.
can anybody help?

Hi. aries.

aries0152 said:
[tex] \phi_{\nu\rho} [/tex] is a antisymmetric tensor field.

I see. so G is antisymmetric tensor. Exchange of any pair of indexes changes signature. Among 4^6 = 64 components, only four components are independent, i.e. 012, 013, 023 and 123. So the formula you are looking for is

1/2 { G_012 G^012 + ( similar other three terms ) }

Regards

sweet springs
many many Thanx :-)

Related to Divide in space and time component

1. What does it mean to divide in space and time component?

Dividing in space and time component refers to breaking down a physical phenomenon or system into its spatial and temporal aspects. This allows for a more detailed analysis and understanding of the phenomenon.

2. Why is it important to divide in space and time component?

Dividing in space and time component is important because it allows scientists to better understand the behavior and characteristics of a physical phenomenon. By separating the spatial and temporal aspects, researchers can identify patterns and relationships that may not be apparent when looking at the phenomenon as a whole.

3. How is dividing in space and time component done?

Dividing in space and time component can be done through various methods, depending on the specific phenomenon being studied. This may involve using mathematical equations, conducting experiments, or creating models that simulate the behavior of the phenomenon in different spatial and temporal dimensions.

4. What are some examples of dividing in space and time component in scientific research?

Some examples of dividing in space and time component in scientific research include analyzing weather patterns, studying the movement of celestial bodies, and understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. In each of these cases, dividing the phenomenon into its spatial and temporal components allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles.

5. What are the benefits of dividing in space and time component?

Dividing in space and time component has many benefits, including providing a more detailed understanding of physical phenomena, allowing for more accurate predictions and models, and aiding in the development of new technologies and innovations. It also allows for the identification of new avenues for research and exploration.