Divergence Theorem and Gauss Law

In summary: F}$$$$\mathbb{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d} q^1 \, \mathrm{d} q^2 \; \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial q^1} \times \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial q^2}=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{F}$$$$\mathbb{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{F}$$
Caglar Yildiz
Divergence theorem states that
$\int \int\vec{E}\cdot\vec{ds}=\int\int\int div(\vec{E})dV$
And Gauss law states that

$\int \int\vec{E}\cdot\vec{ds}=\int\int\int \rho(x,y,z)dV$
If $\vec{E}$ to be electric field vector then i could say that
$div(\vec{E})=\rho(x,y,z)$
However i can't see any reason for that since $\rho(x,y,z)$ to be unit charge

Physics news on Phys.org
Caglar Yildiz said:
Divergence theorem states that$$
\int \int\vec{E}\cdot\vec{ds}=\int\int\int div(\vec{E})dV
$$ And Gauss law states that $$\int \int\vec{E}\cdot\vec{ds}=\int\int\int \rho(x,y,z)dV
$$ If ##\vec{E}## to be electric field vector then i could say that ##div(\vec{E})=\rho(x,y,z)##
However i can't see any reason for that since ##\rho(x,y,z)## to be unit charge
Hi. (Use double $ for displayed, double # for in-line ##LaTeX## ).

Nevertheless, ## \operatorname {div} \vec E = { \rho\over \epsilon_0 }## is one of the Maxwell equations. So ## \left | \vec E \right | \propto \rho## as you would expect.

The point is that your integral equations are valid for any volume ##V## and its boundary ##\partial V## (which of course is a closed surface):
$$\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{E}=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \rho(\vec{x}).$$
This is not very useful in practice, because integrals are not as easy to use as derivatives. The idea thus is to make the volume very small around some specific point ##\vec{x}##. On the right-hand side of Gauss's Law you can make ##V## so small that ##\rho## doesn't vary too much over its extension, i.e., you can write
$$\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x' \rho(\vec{x}') \simeq \rho(\vec{x}) V.$$
Now to the left-hand side. Think of the volume as a little cube with edges parallel to a Cartesian coordinate system. It's best to draw the meaning of the integral to see that the surface integral can be approximated by
$$V (\partial_x E_x(\vec{x})+\partial_y E_y(\vec{x}) + \partial_z E_z(\vec{x}))=V \mathrm{div} \vec{E}(\vec{x}).$$
Now you can cancel the little volume ##V## from both sides of the equation to get the local form of Gauss's Law, which is one of Maxwell's equations (here written in Heaviside-Lorentz units, where you don't have the confusing conversion factors as in the SI units):
$$\mathrm{div} \vec{E}(\vec{x})=\rho(\vec{x}).$$

vanhees71 said:
The point is that your integral equations are valid for any volume ##V## and its boundary ##\partial V## (which of course is a closed surface):
$$\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{E}=\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x \rho(\vec{x}).$$
This is not very useful in practice, because integrals are not as easy to use as derivatives. The idea thus is to make the volume very small around some specific point ##\vec{x}##. On the right-hand side of Gauss's Law you can make ##V## so small that ##\rho## doesn't vary too much over its extension, i.e., you can write
$$\int_V \mathrm{d}^3 x' \rho(\vec{x}') \simeq \rho(\vec{x}) V.$$
Now to the left-hand side. Think of the volume as a little cube with edges parallel to a Cartesian coordinate system. It's best to draw the meaning of the integral to see that the surface integral can be approximated by
$$V (\partial_x E_x(\vec{x})+\partial_y E_y(\vec{x}) + \partial_z E_z(\vec{x}))=V \mathrm{div} \vec{E}(\vec{x}).$$
Now you can cancel the little volume ##V## from both sides of the equation to get the local form of Gauss's Law, which is one of Maxwell's equations (here written in Heaviside-Lorentz units, where you don't have the confusing conversion factors as in the SI units):
$$\mathrm{div} \vec{E}(\vec{x})=\rho(\vec{x}).$$
Hi
Why did you put $$d^2$$ and $$ \vec{F}$$? I saw it on wikipedia too but did not get the idea.

BvU said:
Hi. (Use double $ for displayed, double # for in-line ##LaTeX## ).

Nevertheless, ## \operatorname {div} \vec E = { \rho\over \epsilon_0 }## is one of the Maxwell equations. So ## \left | \vec E \right | \propto \rho## as you would expect.
Well after your reply, i went to wiki and i saw the derivations of those equetion. Also thanks for $$ thing :) i did not know.

Caglar Yildiz said:
Hi
Why did you put $$d^2$$ and $$ \vec{F}$$? I saw it on wikipedia too but did not get the idea.
##\mathbb{d}^2 \vec{F}## is my convention for the surface-element vector. If your surface is parametrized with generalized coordinates ##q^k## (##k \in \{1,2 \}##) then
$$\mathbb{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d} q^1 \, \mathrm{d} q^2 \; \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial q^1} \times \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial q^2}.$$

Related to Divergence Theorem and Gauss Law

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem, also known as Gauss's Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that relates the volume integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the triple integral of the divergence of the vector field in the region enclosed by the surface.

2. What is the significance of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is important because it allows us to convert a difficult volume integral into a simpler surface integral, making it easier to solve certain physical problems involving fluid flow and electric fields.

3. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It is a special case of the Divergence Theorem, where the vector field is the electric field and the surface is a closed surface surrounding a charge distribution.

4. How is the Divergence Theorem related to Gauss's Law?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical tool that allows us to derive Gauss's Law from Maxwell's equations in a simple and elegant way. It shows that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge, which is one of the key principles of Gauss's Law.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Divergence Theorem and Gauss's Law?

The Divergence Theorem and Gauss's Law have numerous applications in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate electric fields around charged particles, electric potential in conductors, and fluid flow in pipes and channels. They are also used in the design of electronic circuits, antennas, and other electrical devices.