Divergence of mixed II-order tensors

In summary, the divergence of a second order mixed tensor in curvilinear coordinates should always be contracted with the upper index first. The physical meaning of the divergence depends on the representation of the tensor, and the divergence of an index represents covariant conservation of a conserved quantity.
enzomarino
Dear friends,
How is the divergence in curvilinear coordinates of a second order mixed tensor defined? I mean, shall I contract the covariant or the contravariant index?? And for both cases which is the physical meaning?

[tex]\nabla_i N^i_j[/tex] or [tex]\nabla_j N^i_j [/tex]?

Thanks a lot,
Enzo

Physics news on Phys.org
enzomarino said:
Dear friends,
How is the divergence in curvilinear coordinates of a second order mixed tensor defined? I mean, shall I contract the covariant or the contravariant index?? And for both cases which is the physical meaning?

[tex]\nabla_i N^i_j[/tex] or [tex]\nabla_j N^i_j [/tex]?

Thanks a lot,
Enzo

You should always contract lower indices with upper indices in the first place. I think you're confused because the energy momentum tensor T is symmetric, so it doesn't mind with which index you contract.

The physical meaning of the divergence depends on what the tensor T represents; it depends on what the [tex]T^{\alpha\beta}[/tex] means for fixed [tex]\alpha[/tex] or fixed [tex]\beta[/tex]. You could put other conserved quantities in some tensor T; the divergence of one of the indices means then covariant conservation of that quantity.

Related to Divergence of mixed II-order tensors

1. What is a mixed II-order tensor?

A mixed II-order tensor is a mathematical object that represents a linear mapping between two vector spaces. It has two indices, one upper and one lower, indicating its contravariant and covariant nature.

2. How is the divergence of a mixed II-order tensor defined?

The divergence of a mixed II-order tensor is defined as the contraction of its first index with the gradient operator. This yields a vector that represents the rate of change of the tensor's components in the direction of the first index.

3. What is the physical significance of the divergence of a mixed II-order tensor?

The physical significance of the divergence of a mixed II-order tensor depends on the specific application. In fluid mechanics, for example, it represents the net outflow of a vector quantity from a given region in space. In elasticity, it represents the net expansion or contraction of a material body.

4. How is the divergence of a mixed II-order tensor related to its trace?

The divergence of a mixed II-order tensor is equal to the trace of its gradient. This means that in Cartesian coordinates, the divergence can be calculated by summing the partial derivatives of the tensor's components with respect to each coordinate.

5. What are some practical applications of the divergence of mixed II-order tensors?

The divergence of mixed II-order tensors has various applications in physics and engineering, including fluid mechanics, elasticity, electromagnetism, and general relativity. It is used to model and analyze the behavior of vector quantities in these fields, such as fluid flow, stress and strain in materials, and electromagnetic fields.