Divergence of integral over vacuum energies (Free field)

In summary, the Hamiltonian for the free scalar field is given by an integral of the creation and annihilation operators, with the first term representing the energy and the second term accounting for the zero-point energy. The statement about the Dirac delta sifting out the value of omega at p=0 is incorrect, as the Dirac delta is equal to infinity at p=0.
soviet1100
Hi,

The Hamiltonian for the free scalar field, expressed in terms of the creation/annihilation operators, is

[itex] H = \int d^{3}p [\omega_p a^{\dagger}_p a_p + \frac{1}{2}\omega_p \delta^{3}(0)] \hspace{3mm} [/itex]

I thought: [itex] \omega_p [/itex] is a function of p as [itex] \omega^{2}_p = |p|^{2} + m^2 [/itex] and so the dirac delta will sift out the value of [itex] \omega_p [/itex] at [itex] p = 0 [/itex]. Could someone tell me why this statement is incorrect? I think I've made some significant conceptual error. Is the first term divergent for infinite p as well?

P.S. wherever p appears above, it is to be taken as the 3-momentum

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you expect would happen if the Dirac delta was ## \delta^3(p) ##. But ## \delta^3(0) ## is simply equal to infinity, or more precisely, the volume of whole space, which is a constant.

Likes soviet1100
Shyan said:
What you expect would happen if the Dirac delta was ## \delta^3(p) ##. But ## \delta^3(0) ## is simply equal to infinity, or more precisely, the volume of whole space, which is a constant.

Ah, of course. Thanks, that was silly of me.

Related to Divergence of integral over vacuum energies (Free field)

What is the divergence of an integral over vacuum energies?

The divergence of an integral over vacuum energies refers to the phenomenon where the value of the integral becomes infinite or undefined. This can happen when trying to calculate the energy of the vacuum state in quantum field theory.

Why does the integral over vacuum energies diverge?

The integral over vacuum energies diverges because of the infinite number of possible energy states in the vacuum. In quantum field theory, the vacuum is not empty but contains virtual particles that constantly pop in and out of existence, leading to an infinite sum of energy contributions.

How does the divergence of the integral affect calculations in quantum field theory?

The divergence of the integral over vacuum energies poses a major challenge in quantum field theory calculations. It can cause mathematical inconsistencies and lead to incorrect predictions. This is known as the vacuum catastrophe problem.

What methods are used to deal with the divergence of the integral?

To address the divergence of the integral over vacuum energies, physicists use a technique called renormalization. This involves subtracting out the infinite term and replacing it with a finite value, allowing for more accurate predictions and calculations.

Is the divergence of the integral over vacuum energies a solved problem?

The divergence of the integral over vacuum energies is still an active area of research in theoretical physics. While renormalization has been successful in many cases, it does not fully solve the problem and there are still ongoing efforts to find a more complete solution.