Ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program to go to a PHD program?

In summary, the individual is currently in their 3rd year at a top school and is considering applying for a 5-year BS/MS program. They are unsure if they should mention their plan to potentially leave the MS part of the program if they receive good PhD offers in their 4th year. They are also concerned about potential repercussions and the importance of fulfilling all BS requirements. There is a possibility that leaving the program may be looked down upon.
1230wc
I'm in my 3rd yr at a top school. I'm deciding on whether to apply for the 5 yr BS/MS program.

On one hand, it's a simple internal application and i'd be almost guaranteed into a very reputable masters program.

On the other hand, i still plan to apply to other PHD programs in my 4th yr. If I get good PHD offers, I'll basically ditch the MS part (the 5th yr) and graduate with just the BS. Is it ok to say this on my PHD apps, or is it looked down upon somehow?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean I'd say "I'm technically in a BS/MS program but I don't plan on finishing the MS part if I get admitted to your PHD program"

I would be really careful to make sure you satisfy all the requirements for your BS, and check to make sure that switching out of the 5yr BS/MS program will not somehow effect you.

I would think that jumping out of a program like that would be frowned upon. What is to say that you don't hop out of their PhD program for something else?

Related to Ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program to go to a PHD program?

1. What are the benefits of ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program to pursue a PhD program?

There are several potential benefits to ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program to pursue a PhD program. First and foremost, a PhD program allows for more in-depth and specialized study in a particular field. It also provides opportunities for research and publications which can enhance career prospects. Additionally, a PhD can lead to higher salaries and more prestigious job opportunities in academia, industry, and government.

2. Will ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program to go to a PhD program affect my career prospects?

It ultimately depends on your field of study and career goals. In some fields, such as engineering and computer science, a 5 yr BS/MS may be sufficient for many job opportunities. However, in other fields, such as biomedical research or academia, a PhD is often required for higher level positions. It is important to research the job market and potential career paths in your field before making a decision.

3. How will ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program affect my academic progress and timeline?

This will vary based on your individual situation and the requirements of the PhD program you are considering. It is important to carefully consider the courses and credits you have completed in your BS/MS program and how they may transfer or fulfill requirements in the PhD program. In some cases, you may be able to transfer credits and complete your PhD in a shorter amount of time.

4. Are there any potential downsides to ditching from a 5 yr BS/MS program for a PhD program?

One potential downside is the extended time commitment and potential financial burden of pursuing a PhD. PhD programs typically take longer to complete and may not provide the same level of financial support as a BS/MS program. Additionally, it is important to consider the potential stress and challenges of conducting research and completing a dissertation.

5. Can I still apply for a PhD program if I have already completed a 5 yr BS/MS program?

Yes, many PhD programs accept applicants who have already completed a 5 yr BS/MS program. However, it is important to thoroughly research the admissions requirements and process for the specific programs you are interested in. Some programs may have specific requirements or preferences for applicants with a BS/MS background.