Two questions about space (new guy)

• Thread starter Michael Gray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the view would be the same regardless of where you point the telescope due to the vast amount of galaxies that can be seen. However, it is possible that there is no detectable odor to space because there are not enough particles present. It is also possible that there was an onboard fire on Mir, which may have caused the smell of ash.
Michael Gray
Hi Guys!

Brand new to the forum and believe me, I'm not here to teach but to learn. I have a couple of questions and I hope they don't sound too foolish.

First question: When looking deep into space with the Hubble telescope we are able to see thousands of galaxies receding away to the limit of the Hubble's resolving power. Is/would the view be the similar regardless of where we point the telescope?

Second: A couple of years ago I was listening to a radio show that featured an American astronaut that had visited the MIR space station. He commented that when an airlock was opened that had previously been open to space, he smelled an odor that was very similar to the ash from a fire that had burned out in a fire place. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that comment ever since. Is there an odor to space? Would it be caused by the sun?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

(1) Yes. The Hubble's Deep Field North and Deep Field South photos show this.
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980607.html
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020629.html

It also makes sense based on Big Bang theory (distribution of matter throughout the universe with no center or edge to the universe).

(2) Hmm. I had not heard that one. But I would think there are too few particles at that altitude to have a detectable odor.

Odor is particles which are shaped in such a way that our noses can recognise them.

Originally posted by Michael Gray
Hi Guys!

Brand new to the forum and believe me, I'm not here to teach but to learn. I have a couple of questions and I hope they don't sound too foolish.

First question: When looking deep into space with the Hubble telescope we are able to see thousands of galaxies receding away to the limit of the Hubble's resolving power. Is/would the view be the similar regardless of where we point the telescope?

Second: A couple of years ago I was listening to a radio show that featured an American astronaut that had visited the MIR space station. He commented that when an airlock was opened that had previously been open to space, he smelled an odor that was very similar to the ash from a fire that had burned out in a fire place. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that comment ever since. Is there an odor to space? Would it be caused by the sun?

A couple of years ago I was listening to a radio show that featured an American astronaut that had visited the MIR space station. He commented that when an airlock was opened that had previously been open to space, he smelled an odor that was very similar to the ash from a fire that had burned out in a fire place.

Did not Mir have an onboard fire at some stage in its long history?
If this is not so then, its quite probable that even though there is no Oxygen in Space, the Mir craft is made from metals, metals melt and carbon filements may have been collected on the outer surface of Mir due to the High Energy Cosmic rays that Mir was exposed to over time. As astronauts come and go from outside spacewalks, their inside airlock would have accumilated many fragments, when the airlock to the inner vessel was opened oxygen from the outerchamber would rush in as the airlock is released, and so the particulates from inside the outer airlock would transfer into the main vessel.

I believe that American missions identified some sort of carbonization?..to astronauts helmets as crew members made reports of 'arc-ing-lights' inside Spaceshuttle and or Skylab missions. Further investigation to the crews space-helmets revealed substantial damage, later attributed to the influx of High Energy Cosmic rays,
Nature seems to have a 'first' in High energy cosmic welding!

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between outer space and interstellar space?

Outer space refers to the vast expanse of the universe beyond Earth's atmosphere. It includes everything from our solar system to distant galaxies. Interstellar space, on the other hand, specifically refers to the space between stars within a galaxy. It is much emptier and less dense than outer space.

2. How do scientists measure the distance between objects in space?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the distance between objects in space. One common method is triangulation, where the distance is calculated by measuring the angle between two known points and the object of interest. Other methods include using parallax, the apparent shift in an object's position due to Earth's orbit, and using the speed of light to calculate distance.

3. What is the purpose of space exploration?

Space exploration serves many purposes, including expanding our knowledge of the universe, advancing technology, and potentially finding new resources or habitable planets. It also has practical applications such as improving weather forecasting and communication systems on Earth.

4. How do astronauts survive in space?

Astronauts survive in space by bringing everything they need with them, including food, water, and oxygen. They also wear special suits that protect them from the harsh conditions of space, such as extreme temperatures and radiation. Living in a spacecraft or space station also provides a controlled environment for astronauts to survive in.

5. What are some of the challenges of sending humans to Mars?

Sending humans to Mars is a complex and challenging endeavor. Some of the main challenges include the long journey, which could take anywhere from 6-9 months, the harsh surface conditions of Mars, such as extreme temperatures and lack of oxygen, and the need for advanced technology and resources to sustain human life on the planet. Additionally, the effects of long-term space travel on human health are still not fully understood, adding another challenge to the mission.