Distribution of molecules throughout the atmosphere

In summary, the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere varies depending on the layer. Generally, the most molecules are found in the troposphere and decrease as altitude increases until the mesosphere. The greenhouse gas molecules (CO2, H2O, CH4, N2O) also follow this distribution pattern, with water vapor being most abundant near water sources. However, there is ongoing research on the vertical structure of the atmosphere, including the distribution of greenhouse gases, with sources such as the Vertical Structure of the Atmosphere and HIPPO project providing information and data. It is important to note that water vapor and ozone (O3) are exceptions to this distribution pattern due to their abundance and potent greenhouse effects.
charmedbeauty
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows about how molecules are distributed throughout various layers of the atmosphere.

My assumption is that most molecules would be more abundant in the troposphere and decrease throughout until the mesosphere.

does anyone know a little more about this or any links I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the net.

Im interested in the greenhouse gas molecules (CO2, H2O, CH4, N2O) how are they distributed throughout the various layers?

I know water vapour is more abundant near water obviously but I'm more concerned with longitudinal ratios etc.

again any links would be great because I have to reference it, and ratios between each layer would be good thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vertical Structure of the Atmosphere.
http://paoc.mit.edu/labweb/notes/chap3.pdf
... sort of thing you are looking for.

Its something that has had a lot of research eg HIPPO:
http://ncar.ucar.edu/press/hippo-takes-to-the-skies-measuring-earth%E2%80%99s-atmospheric-constituents
... so you are pretty much spoiled for choice.

Simon Bridge said:

http://ncar.ucar.edu/press/hippo-takes-to-the-skies-measuring-earth%E2%80%99s-atmospheric-constituents

Thanks a bunch Simon.

Simon Bridge said:

Not really what I am looking for actually it does not have any distrubution levels of GHG's throughout the atmosphere all I could find was a temp v. latitude graph (interesting) but I am more needing a (CO2 vs latitude) graph or even better one for all GHG's.

Thank's anyway

That's right - I was presenting it as an example of the sort of thing you need to look for and how to phrase your searches. It is not the end of your search. You can use the information in the pdf to help you understand your querie and so refine your search-terms... do not expect to find all the info you want in one place or in a form that is just right for what you want. The pdf includes a "further reading" example as well.

Note - there is a difference between "latitude" and altitude".

Search for homosphere, heterosphere, turbopause. From my reading, it's all pretty evenly mixed up to 100km (H2O excepted, I'm sure).

haruspex said:
Search for homosphere, heterosphere, turbopause. From my reading, it's all pretty evenly mixed up to 100km (H2O excepted, I'm sure).

Ok thanks.

haruspex said:
Yep. The turbopause marks the altitude at which the atmosphere transitions from behaving like a classical gas to behaving like a bunch of weakly-interacting free particles with very large mean free paths.

H2O excepted, of course. Note that due to its abundance compared to other greenhouse gases, water is the most potent greenhouse gas of all. Another exception is O3, which is also a greenhouse gas. Ozone exists primarily in the stratosphere due to sunlight and near the Earth's surface largely due to human pollution.

Related to Distribution of molecules throughout the atmosphere

1. How are molecules distributed throughout the atmosphere?

Molecules in the atmosphere are distributed through a process called diffusion. This is when molecules move from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration, resulting in a more even distribution.

2. What factors affect the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere?

The distribution of molecules in the atmosphere is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and wind patterns. These can all impact the movement of molecules and result in variations in their distribution.

3. How does the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere impact the Earth's climate?

The distribution of molecules in the atmosphere plays a crucial role in regulating Earth's climate. Different molecules, such as greenhouse gases, can trap heat in the atmosphere and contribute to the warming of the planet. Changes in the distribution of these molecules can lead to changes in global temperatures and weather patterns.

4. Can human activities affect the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere?

Yes, human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation can significantly impact the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere. These activities release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which can alter the balance of molecules and contribute to climate change.

5. How do scientists study the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere?

Scientists use various methods to study the distribution of molecules in the atmosphere, including satellite imaging, weather balloons, and ground-based measurements. These techniques allow them to track changes in the distribution of molecules over time and understand their impact on the Earth's climate.