Distortions in time when going near light speed

In summary, time dilation is a phenomenon that occurs when comparing two clocks that are not next to each other. This is due to the effects of relativity and can be observed near large masses or at high speeds. The Global Positioning System (GPS) takes time dilation into account to keep precise time. While it may seem like time is moving slower, it is all relative and each observer will perceive their own time to be unaffected.
Abphysics
So I was wondering that why does time move slower the faster you get ? And does it happen at all or is this is just fake ?

Science news on Phys.org
Abphysics said:
So I was wondering that why does time move slower the faster you get ?
Why isn't a good question, how is explained by relativity and it is called time dilation. It happens near large masses also.
Abphysics said:
And does it happen at all or is this is just fake ?
The Global Positioning System (GPS) takes both forms into account to keep precise time.

Abphysics said:
So I was wondering that why does time move slower the faster you get ? And does it happen at all or is this is just fake ?
It doesn't. It just looks that way to observers who are moving relative to you. YOU, right now as you read this, are moving at almost the speed of light relative to an accelerated particle at CERN. Did you watch slow down when you realized that?

jerromyjon said:
Why isn't a good question, how is explained by relativity and it is called time dilation. It happens near large masses also.

The Global Positioning System (GPS) takes both forms into account to keep precise time.
You are answering as though time DOES slow down, but as I just explained, it doesn't

phinds said:
You are answering as though time DOES slow down, but as I just explained, it doesn't
It is all relative. The time that passes on the ISS is not the same amount as the time that passes on Earth due to relative velocity and the strength of the gravitational field.
Time dilation

jerromyjon said:
It is all relative. The time that passes on the ISS is not the same amount as the time that passes on Earth due to relative velocity and the strength of the gravitational field.
You are missing the point. The OPs post indicates that he believes that time DOES move slower (in the local frame, although he likely doesn't know the terminology) and you are misleading him into thinking that might be true. If you want to explain differential aging to him, fine, but please stop misleading him.

Likes davenn
phinds said:
you are misleading him into thinking that might be true.
I am trying to explain it from a scientific perspective. I know what you are saying when you say:
phinds said:
YOU, right now as you read this, are moving at almost the speed of light relative to an accelerated particle at CERN.
phinds said:
Did you watch slow down when you realized that?
No matter what you will still perceive your time to be unaffected. If you hop on a spaceship and travel at near the speed of light for some time and turn around and come back a year later by your clock everyone here on Earth will be older by much more than a year!

jerromyjon said:
If you hop on a spaceship and travel at near the speed of light for some time and turn around and come back a year later by your clock everyone here on Earth will be older by much more than a year!
None of which involves time passing faster or more slowly for anyone involved.

Likes PeroK
Guys, I don't think it is helpful to have such a heated argument about the difference between "time moves slower" and "less time has passed" (which to me looks like an argument over grammar), especially when it was the OP who stated it.

Likes Abphysics, jbriggs444 and jerromyjon
So, I should follow my own advice and respond to this directly:
Abphysics said:
Yes, it's real, and rather than respond directly to your question, which is potentially problematic in its wording, I'll just give a quick primer (the wiki link is also pretty good for a start):

First, you need to make sure you are clear enough about what "time" is. For the purpose of discussing time dilation, you can simply say that time is what clocks measure and leave it at that. But recognize that anything that experiences change with time can be used as a clock. Our body biochemistry is a sort of clock: How long ago did I last shave? [rubs face] 3 days. So when discussing time and time dilation, there is no relevant difference between "time" and "clock". All local, quality clocks will show the same time and since our body biochemistry is a clock, we can't separate ourselves from time in a way to locally notice variations in time's rate of progressing. We're all on the same ride, so there is no value in the idea that time's rate of progressing could vary locally: there's no way for us to notice.

So, time dilation is what you see when you compare two clocks that are not sitting next to each other. Depending on what they are doing, they may not show the same time, which means time is progressing at different rates as seen by comparing the clocks continuously or [often preferred], their paths through spacetime are different, making them have different elapsed times. This is somewhat like driving a car at a constant 30mph and taking different lengths of time to arrive at your destination based on the route you took. It's geometry -- and as it happens, time is part of the geometry of the universe.

Likes Abphysics and berkeman
thank you all for your help

Related to Distortions in time when going near light speed

What causes distortions in time when going near light speed?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, distortions in time occur when an object is moving at speeds close to the speed of light. This is due to the fact that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down, resulting in a distortion of time.

How do distortions in time affect space travel?

Distortions in time can greatly affect space travel, as the closer a spacecraft gets to the speed of light, the slower time will pass for the astronauts on board. This means that while only a few years may have passed for the astronauts, decades or even centuries may have passed on Earth.

Is it possible to experience distortions in time on Earth?

While it is not possible for humans to travel at the speed of light, distortions in time can still occur on Earth. For example, satellites in orbit experience a slight difference in time compared to clocks on the ground due to their high speeds. However, the effects are very small and only noticeable with highly precise instruments.

Can distortions in time be reversed?

No, distortions in time cannot be reversed. Time will always appear to pass slower for objects moving at high speeds compared to those at rest. This phenomenon is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity and has been proven through various experiments and observations.

What other effects are caused by distortions in time?

Besides time dilation, distortions in time can also cause length contraction, where objects moving at high speeds appear shorter in the direction of motion. This effect has also been observed and confirmed through experiments and is another important aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity.