Distinguishing Two Experiments With Equal Density Matrices

In summary, two ensembles of electrons with different percentages of spin up and spin down states have identical density matrices, making them indistinguishable experimentally. There is a quote about this concept, but it is unclear who said it.
kof9595995
For example, a esemble of 50% spin up and 50% spin down electrons, the other of 25% spin up,25% spin down, 25% x direction spin up and 25% x direction spin down. The density matrix is identity matrix for both(correct me if I'm wrong), is there any way to distinguish the two experimentally?

Physics news on Phys.org

kof9595995 said:
For example, a esemble of 50% spin up and 50% spin down electrons, the other of 25% spin up,25% spin down, 25% x direction spin up and 25% x direction spin down. The density matrix is identity matrix for both(correct me if I'm wrong), is there any way to distinguish the two experimentally?

I believe that these are fundamentally indistinguishable. I think there was a good quote around this, cannot recall who said this right now.

Emm..I also think so, but it just feels very peculiar...

What about QM doesn't feel peculiar? :) I'll see if I can find that quote...

Related to Distinguishing Two Experiments With Equal Density Matrices

1. What is the purpose of distinguishing two experiments with equal density matrices?

The purpose of distinguishing two experiments with equal density matrices is to determine if the two experiments are truly identical or if there are subtle differences that may affect the results. This is important in order to ensure the validity and reliability of scientific experiments.

2. How do you distinguish two experiments with equal density matrices?

Two experiments can be distinguished by comparing their density matrices, which are mathematical representations of the state of a quantum system. If the density matrices are identical, then the experiments are considered equivalent. However, if there are differences in the density matrices, then the experiments are not identical.

3. What factors can lead to two experiments having equal density matrices?

There are a few factors that can lead to two experiments having equal density matrices. One is if the experiments have identical procedures, such as using the same equipment and materials. Another is if the experiments are conducted in the same environment, with the same external factors affecting them. Additionally, if the experiments are measuring the same phenomenon, they may have equal density matrices.

4. Why is it important to distinguish between two experiments with equal density matrices?

Distinguishing between two experiments with equal density matrices is important for ensuring the reproducibility and accuracy of scientific results. If two experiments are considered identical but actually have subtle differences, the results may not be reliable. By distinguishing between them, scientists can determine if the results are truly due to the experiment or if there are other factors at play.

5. Can two experiments with equal density matrices ever be considered completely identical?

No, two experiments with equal density matrices can never be considered completely identical. While the density matrices may be equal, there may still be differences in other factors such as experimental conditions, measurement techniques, or human error. Therefore, it is important to carefully analyze and compare all aspects of the experiments in order to determine their true level of equivalence.