Distinction between Kinetic Energy and Momentum

In summary: What is your question ? There is no contradiction between ##W = \displaystyle \int \vec F \cdot d\vec s## and ##\vec p = \displaystyle \int \vec F dt##If you read the rest of that statement it is the force over the time period t and the integral yields momentum.
Obliv
Hello, I would like to provide my thoughts on the distinction between KE and p and would like to know if this reasoning is sound and objective.
I will give an example to start: A bowling ball is dropped from some height into a pool of honey. It is observed that the bowling ball has a velocity V that it falls into the honey with. The time it takes for the bowling ball to reach a velocity VF is observed to be the time t. The distance traveled in the honey before the ball reaches VF is d.

What one would observe to be momentum is the force exerted by the honey onto the bowling ball, to slow it down to VF, during the time interval t.
Written mathematically as: [tex] \vec {P} = \int \vec {F}{dt} = {m}\vec {v} = m \int \vec {a}{dt} [/tex]

What one would observe to be the [change in] kinetic energy or work is the force exerted by the honey onto the bowling ball, to slow it down to VF, through the distance d.
Written mathematically as: [tex] W = \Delta {KE} = \int \vec {F} \cdot {d} \vec {x} = m \int \vec {a} \cdot {d} \vec {x}[/tex]
Newton did not distinguish between momentum and kinetic energy (leibniz did, and his views were not supported).
I don't see why they didn't make a distinction (Newton and his contemporaries, that is). I suppose they did not regard distance as importantly as time since they held the view of absolute time?

edit: If I were to change the velocity of the bowling ball to V+1, (assuming weight is the only force downward) would the time it took to reach VF be t+1? Consequently, would distance traveled then be d2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
Obliv said:
It is observed
Can you provide a reference ? It seems to me the ball should drop to the floor of the pool and only then stop.

What is your question ? There is no contradiction between ##W = \displaystyle \int \vec F \cdot d\vec s## and ##\vec p = \displaystyle \int \vec F dt##

Obliv said:
one would observe to be momentum is the force
No, a momentum is not a force. Same with work. The presence of time c.q. distance is essential.

BvU said:
Hi
Can you provide a reference ? It seems to me the ball should drop to the floor of the pool and only then stop.

What is your question ? There is no contradiction between ##W = \displaystyle \int \vec F \cdot d\vec s## and ##\vec p = \displaystyle \int \vec F dt##

No, a momentum is not a force. Same with work. The presence of time c.q. distance is essential.
Oh you're right. I'll fix the example give me a minute.

If you read the rest of that statement it is the force over the time period t and the integral yields momentum.
I'm not proving any contradictions. I'm merely proving the distinction between the two ideas. I am looking for the approval of this reasoning so that I can move on in my textbook.

Alright I fixed it.

The bowling ball would only stop if the buoyant force of the honey was equal to the bowling ball's weight, right? Then the net displacement and time it took to reach zero velocity would be the description I had earlier. I changed it to a specific velocity VF since I want to keep the example as simple as possible.

Related to Distinction between Kinetic Energy and Momentum

1. What is the main difference between kinetic energy and momentum?

Kinetic energy is a measure of the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to keep moving in a straight line.

2. Can an object have high kinetic energy but low momentum?

Yes, an object can have high kinetic energy without necessarily having high momentum. This is because kinetic energy also depends on the mass of an object, while momentum is solely determined by an object's mass and velocity.

3. How are kinetic energy and momentum related?

Momentum can be calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity, while kinetic energy is calculated by squaring an object's velocity and multiplying by half its mass. Therefore, kinetic energy and momentum are related through the object's mass and velocity.

4. How do kinetic energy and momentum affect an object's motion?

Kinetic energy affects an object's motion by determining how fast it can move, while momentum affects an object's motion by determining how difficult it is to stop or change its direction.

5. Which is more important in determining the behavior of an object: kinetic energy or momentum?

It depends on the situation. In some cases, kinetic energy may be more important, such as in collisions where the speed of an object is crucial. In other cases, momentum may be more important, such as when considering the force needed to change an object's direction.