Distance v.s Time graph shape?

In summary, the shape of the Distance vs Time Graph when a ball is falling will be a curved line with a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. The slope under the curve will represent the changing velocity over time. It cannot be a straight line as that would result in a constant velocity and zero acceleration. If the graph is plotted starting at the height from which the ball was dropped, it will resemble the second half of a cannonball's trajectory.
J.live

Homework Statement

What would be the shape of Distance vs Time Graph when a ball is falling?
Please explain. Thanks you

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will be a curve since the acceleration is constant (9.8 m/s^2) . the slope under the curve will be velocity which will change uniformly overtime? It can't be a straight line since that will make the velocity constant and acceleration zero? I am not sure , need to verify :/

Physics news on Phys.org
J.live said:

Homework Statement

What would be the shape of Distance vs Time Graph when a ball is falling?
Please explain. Thanks you

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it will be a curve since the acceleration is constant (9.8 m/s^2) . the slope under the curve will be velocity which will change uniformly overtime? It can't be a straight line since that will make the velocity constant and acceleration zero? I am not sure , need to verify :/

It will curve upward if you plot the distance increasing on the y axis. If you plot it starting at the height from which it was dropped, it will look like the second half of the trajectory of a cannonball (where the velocity along the ground functions just like time on the x axis).

Related to Distance v.s Time graph shape?

1. What does the shape of a distance vs. time graph represent?

The shape of a distance vs. time graph represents the relationship between the distance an object has traveled and the time it takes to travel that distance. It shows how the distance changes over time and can indicate the speed and direction of the object's motion.

2. How can I tell if an object is moving at a constant speed from its distance vs. time graph?

If an object is moving at a constant speed, its distance vs. time graph will appear as a straight, diagonal line. This indicates that the object is covering the same distance in the same amount of time, resulting in a consistent speed.

3. What does a steep slope on a distance vs. time graph indicate?

A steep slope on a distance vs. time graph indicates that the object is moving at a higher speed. The steeper the slope, the faster the object is moving. This can be seen in the steepness of the diagonal line on the graph.

4. How can I determine the direction of an object's motion from its distance vs. time graph?

The direction of an object's motion can be determined from its distance vs. time graph by observing the slope of the line. If the slope is positive (rising from left to right), the object is moving in a positive direction. If the slope is negative (falling from left to right), the object is moving in a negative direction.

5. Can a distance vs. time graph be used to calculate an object's velocity?

Yes, a distance vs. time graph can be used to calculate an object's velocity. Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time. This can be determined by finding the slope of the line on the graph or by using the formula v = d/t.