DISTANCE travelled by the projectile

• Thread starter judas_priest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary: If I did it right, it is$$\int_0^T v(t)dt = \frac{g}{2}(T + \sinh^{-1}(\frac{v_0 \sin\theta}{gT})) + \frac{v_0 \cos\theta}{2}T$$where ##v_0## is the initial speed of the projectile and ##\theta## is the angle of launch. I'm not going to try to explain that. It's too hard to do in this medium. But if I did it right, it's not hard to see that the solution makes sense. The first term is the vertical distance covered during flight. The second term is the horizontal distance. If
judas_priest

Homework Statement

What is the DISTANCE traveled by the projectile?
I know how to calculate the displacement, but this includes both x and y components, so how do I calculate the distance? I'm sure it must include both height and vertical displacement components

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue really. Everything I try to do, it just gives me the displacement. I just don't know how to get the 'h' factor in? Do I use pythagaros? Because it doesn't apply for a curved surface.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
judas_priest said:

Homework Statement

What is the DISTANCE traveled by the projectile?
I know how to calculate the displacement, but this includes both x and y components, so how do I calculate the distance? I'm sure it must include both height and vertical displacement components

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no clue really. Everything I try to do, it just gives me the displacement. I just don't know how to get the 'h' factor in? Do I use pythagaros? Because it doesn't apply for a curved surface.

Wait are you trying to find the distance the object flew in total or are you trying to find its horizontal displacement ( I'm sure it's displacement though ).

With that in mind, to get the horizontal displacement of an object use :

$$\vec{Δd}_H = \vec{v}_H Δt = \frac{ \vec{v}_R^2 sin(2θ) }{ \vec{a} }$$

depending on which information you have been given or have been able to retrieve.

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
With that in mind, to get the horizontal displacement of an object use :

$$\vec{Δd}_H = \vec{v}_H Δt = \frac{ \vec{v}_R^2 sin(2θ) }{ \vec{a} }$$

What is ##\vec{v}_R?## That equation does not make sense. You cannot square a vector or divide by one.
@judas_priest: Distinguish between horizontal and vertical motion. Write the equation for the displacement of the body in each direction. Then find the horizontal displacement in terms of known quantities by eliminating variables between the two equations.

CAF123 said:
What is ##\vec{v}_R?## That equation does not make sense. You cannot square a vector.
@judas_priest: Distinguish between horizontal and vertical motion. Write the equation for the displacement of the body in each direction. Then find the horizontal displacement in terms of known quantities by eliminating variables between the two equations.

##\vec{v}_R## is the resultant velocity ( Hypotenuse ).

EDIT : Yeah you're right, It should be :

$$\frac{v_R^2 sin(2 \theta)}{a}$$

without the vector quantities.

Most elementary projectile mechanics question limit themselves to asking about the maximum horizontal distance traveled by the projectile, also known as the range. This is very easy to work out, and the well-known formula for a projectile launched on a flat surface has already been quoted. For a projectile launched from a height, the answer is quite simple to work out from first principles.

But if the question is actually asking for the total distance traveled by the projectile on its curved path, it's not impossible. Tedious, but not impossible. The distance is simply ##\displaystyle \int_0^T v(t)dt##, where ##T## is the total time of flight, and ##v(t)## is the instantaneous speed of the projectile expressed as a function of time.

Using the resultant of the horizontal and vertical components of velocity at time ##t##, it is possible to get an expression for ##v(t)##. Integrating that is a little tough, and a hyperbolic trig substitution is probably the quickest way. And simplifying the resulting mess is daunting. But an answer can be derived fairly quickly.

Related to DISTANCE travelled by the projectile

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance travelled by a projectile?

The formula for calculating the distance travelled by a projectile is: d = v0 * t + 1/2 * a * t2, where d is distance, v0 is initial velocity, t is time, and a is acceleration.

2. How does air resistance affect the distance travelled by a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the distance travelled by a projectile by slowing down its velocity and reducing its acceleration. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, known as drag.

3. Does the angle of launch affect the distance travelled by a projectile?

Yes, the angle of launch does affect the distance travelled by a projectile. The optimal angle for maximum distance is 45 degrees, as this allows for the greatest combination of horizontal and vertical velocity components.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its distance travelled?

The mass of a projectile does not directly affect its distance travelled. However, a heavier projectile may require more force to reach the same distance as a lighter projectile, and therefore may ultimately travel a shorter distance if not launched with enough initial velocity.

5. Is there a limit to the distance travelled by a projectile?

In a vacuum, a projectile will continue to travel indefinitely unless acted upon by an external force. However, in real-world scenarios, factors such as air resistance, gravity, and surface obstacles will eventually cause the projectile to come to a stop, limiting the distance it can travel.