Distance to traveled to reach 0m/s not matter in impulse?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a rebounding ball being caught by a player and the impulse received by the player. The solution was first attempted using kinematic equations and then using the formula I = Δp. The conversation also addressed a discrepancy in the result obtained when using the quadratic formula and the importance of being careful with assumptions when solving problems.
jb007

Homework Statement

I figured out this homework problem, after many tries, but I'm confused about the correct final answer. Here's the question:
The rebounding ball, mass of 0.06 kg, traveling horizontally at 7.6 m/s, is caught by a player who brings it to rest. During the process, her hand moves back 0.60 m. What is the impulse received by the player?

Homework Equations

I = Δp
I = FΔt
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

So in the end I just used I = Δp. I did I = (mvf) - (mvi) = (0.06)(0) - (0.06)(-7.6) = 0.456 kg⋅m/s.
Before I was using the kinematics equations to solve for the acceleration of the ball when it slowed down from 7.6 m/s to 0 m/s in the 0.6 m the player's hand moved when catching it. Then I used the acceleration to get the time taken for this process. Then I plugged the acceleration value and the mass of the ball into F = ma to find the force on the ball by the player's hand. Finally, I plugged in this force into I = Favg.Δt to find the impulse. But doing so I got 0.493 N⋅s, which was wrong.

Why is the answer solved without taking into account the distance traveled by the player's hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Δp calculation is fine. The error is in the checking procedure (I do get .456 that way).
Can you show the checking calculation in detail ?

With the kinematic equations, this is what I did:
vf2 = vi2 - 2a(xf-xi)
So vi2 = 7.62 = 57.76 m/s.
And vf2 = 02 = 0 m/s.
xf - xi = 0.6 m.

Solving for a:
-57.76 = -2a(0.6)
a = 48.133 m/s/s
a = -48.133 m/s/s because it is in the opposite direction of the ball's velocity.

With a, I find the time it takes to travel the 0.6 m.
So I use xf = xi + vit + 0.5at2
So xf - xi = 0.6 m.

0.6 = 7.6t - 0.5(48.133)t2
0 = -24.0665t2 + 7.6t - 0.6

Solving the quadratic, I get 0.1575 and 0.1583 for t.

Using F = ma, I solve for the force on hand by ball:
F = (0.06)(-48.133) = -2.88798N

And the impulse would be FΔt, (-2.88798)(0.1575) = 0.455 Ns
Using the other value for t, I get (-2.88798)(0.1583) = 0.457 Ns

Oh, well I guess I did make a mistake somewhere my first time. The numbers are pretty close to 0.456. But if you used the quadratic formula, how would you know which value to use? They each produce a different result.

jb007 said:
With the kinematic equations, this is what I did:
vf2 = vi2 - 2a(xf-xi)
So vi2 = 7.62 = 57.76 m/s.
And vf2 = 02 = 0 m/s.
xf - xi = 0.6 m.

Solving for a:
-57.76 = -2a(0.6)
a = 48.133 m/s/s
a = -48.133 m/s/s because it is in the opposite direction of the ball's velocity.

With a, I find the time it takes to travel the 0.6 m.
So I use xf = xi + vit + 0.5at2
So xf - xi = 0.6 m.

0.6 = 7.6t - 0.5(48.133)t2
0 = -24.0665t2 + 7.6t - 0.6

Solving the quadratic, I get 0.1575 and 0.1583 for t.

Using F = ma, I solve for the force on hand by ball:
F = (0.06)(-48.133) = -2.88798N

And the impulse would be FΔt, (-2.88798)(0.1575) = 0.455 Ns
Using the other value for t, I get (-2.88798)(0.1583) = 0.457 Ns

Oh, well I guess I did make a mistake somewhere my first time. The numbers are pretty close to 0.456. But if you used the quadratic formula, how would you know which value to use? They each produce a different result.
They really cannot produce a different result. Try doing it all algebraically, not using any actual numbers. You should find you get the same algebraic expression. Any numerical difference you are seeing must be from arithmetic error or rounding error.
Note also that your method using distance necessarily makes an assumption about the deceleration profile - constant deceleration in this case. It doesn't matter because it turns out to be irrelevant in this problem, but you should be wary of making such assumptions generally.

1. How is distance traveled to reach 0m/s not matter in impulse?

The distance traveled to reach 0m/s does not matter in impulse because impulse is equal to the change in momentum, which is the mass of an object multiplied by its velocity. This means that the same impulse can be achieved with different combinations of force and time, resulting in different distances traveled.

2. Does the mass of an object affect the distance traveled to reach 0m/s?

No, the mass of an object does not affect the distance traveled to reach 0m/s in impulse. As mentioned earlier, impulse is equal to the change in momentum, and mass is already factored into the equation for momentum. Therefore, the mass of an object will not affect the distance traveled in impulse.

3. What factors do affect the distance traveled to reach 0m/s in impulse?

The distance traveled to reach 0m/s in impulse is affected by the magnitude of the force applied and the duration of the force. A larger force or longer duration will result in a greater distance traveled to reach 0m/s.

4. Can the distance traveled to reach 0m/s be calculated using the impulse equation?

No, the distance traveled to reach 0m/s cannot be directly calculated using the impulse equation. The impulse equation only calculates the change in momentum, not the distance traveled. To calculate the distance, you would need additional information such as the force applied and the duration of the force.

5. How does the concept of impulse apply to real-world situations?

In real-world situations, the concept of impulse is important in understanding the effects of forces on moving objects. For example, in sports like baseball or golf, the impulse of the bat or club on the ball determines the distance and direction the ball will travel. In car accidents, the impulse of the impact can determine the damage to the vehicles and the occupants. Overall, understanding impulse can help us better understand and predict the outcomes of various physical interactions.