Distance to reach terminal velocity

In summary, the conversation revolves around someone who knows how to calculate terminal velocity and time but is struggling with finding the distance. They mention using the equation v = ds/dt but are unable to figure it out. They also mention taking photos of their attempt to share with others for review.
abdo799
I know how to get the terminal velocity , how to get the time , I need to know how to the distance , I know it has got something to do with turning v to ds/dt , but I can't figure it out

Physics news on Phys.org
abdo799 said:
I know how to get the terminal velocity , how to get the time , I need to know how to the distance , I know it has got something to do with turning v to ds/dt , but I can't figure it out

What have you tried so far?Show your attempt

I am currently not at home i will write down when i get back

adjacent said:
What have you tried so far?Show your attempt

Look... i don't know how to write the equation, when i come back, can i just capture the page and attach it in a reply? I have a pretty good camera

abdo799 said:
Look... i don't know how to write the equation, when i come back, can i just capture the page and attach it in a reply? I have a pretty good camera
Yes.But make sure your writing is neat and easy to read.

Related to Distance to reach terminal velocity

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity is equal to the opposing drag force.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

Terminal velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2mg/ρACd), where v is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the projected area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. Does the shape of an object affect its terminal velocity?

Yes, the shape of an object can greatly affect its terminal velocity. Objects with larger surface areas, such as a parachute, will experience more drag and reach terminal velocity at a slower speed compared to objects with smaller surface areas, such as a bullet.

4. How does air density affect terminal velocity?

Air density plays a significant role in determining an object's terminal velocity. Objects falling through denser air, such as at lower altitudes, will reach terminal velocity at a faster speed compared to objects falling through less dense air, such as at higher altitudes.

5. Can an object exceed its terminal velocity?

Technically, yes. If an object experiences a sudden increase in velocity, such as being pushed by a strong gust of wind, it can briefly exceed its terminal velocity. However, it will quickly return to its terminal velocity once the external force is removed.