Distance relay - impedance characteristic question

In summary, the impedance characteristic in the second quadrant shows that the relay is bi-directional.
nettub
Dear all!

I have a question about the impedance characteristics in the distance relay used for transmission line protection. I understand that in the first quadrant we have a inductive load and in the fourth quadrant we have a capacitive load. I, however, do not understand what we measure in the second quadrant that I marked red. We would have a negative resistance. Can someone please help me with that?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3809800/impedance_characteristics.jpg

Thanks,
Pauls

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for your answer.

That's what I thought and I also saw the paper. That means, however, that the relay is bi-directional. For me that's contradicting since the diagonal shown in my picture marks the operating direction of the relay. So when you want to detect both directions you would need 2 relays anyways. That means the -R and +X area would be redundant.

i think they're saying the math works out to a function that'd be bidirectional

there's discussion later on about adding restraint coils

i'm not a relay guy, just have watched over the shoulders of some genuine ones.

i'd resort to a genuine industrial training manual for in-depth discussions of how it's done in the real world..
http://www.pdfslibfree.com/applied-protective-relaying-westinghouse.pdf
http://www.osinerg.gob.pe/newweb/uploads/GFE/eventos/EVENTO%207/TEXTO%207A.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff
Likes dlgoff
Since the torques are in proportion to RMS currents squared, it looks to me like the basic device would be bidirectional...

Related to Distance relay - impedance characteristic question

1. What is a distance relay and what is its purpose?

A distance relay is an electrical device used to protect power transmission lines from faults. It measures the distance of the fault from the relay location and sends a signal to the circuit breaker to isolate the faulted section of the line. This helps to prevent power outages, equipment damage, and potential hazards to personnel.

2. What is the impedance characteristic of a distance relay?

The impedance characteristic of a distance relay refers to the relationship between the measured impedance (resistance and reactance) of the faulted section of the line and the set impedance value in the relay. This characteristic is used to determine the location of the fault and to trigger the appropriate protection action.

3. How is the impedance characteristic of a distance relay determined?

The impedance characteristic of a distance relay is determined by conducting impedance tests on the protected line. This involves injecting a known voltage and current at different points along the line and measuring the resulting impedance. The test results are then used to set the appropriate impedance values in the relay.

4. What factors can affect the impedance characteristic of a distance relay?

The impedance characteristic of a distance relay can be affected by changes in the line parameters, such as conductor size, temperature, and loading, as well as changes in the system configuration, such as the addition of new lines or the reconfiguration of the network. It is important to regularly monitor and calibrate the relay settings to ensure proper operation.

5. How does a distance relay distinguish between faults and normal system conditions?

A distance relay uses a combination of impedance and time elements to distinguish between faults and normal system conditions. If the measured impedance and time exceed the set values in the relay, a fault is detected and the relay will initiate the appropriate protection action. If the impedance and time are within the set values, the relay will not operate, indicating a normal system condition.