Distance of x,y and z intercepts of a plane

• Thread starter summer27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary: However, I suspect that the instructor was trying to make a point about the relationship between the distances from the origin to the plane and the intercepts. (In fact, the title of the thread is "Distances from intercepts".) The relationship is easily found from the formula for the distance from a point, (x_0, y_0, z_0), to a plane, Ax+ By+ Cz= D. The point (x_0, y_0, z_0) is on the line perpendicular to the plane that passes through the origin. The point on that line that is on the plane is given by the formula for the intersection of two planes: x= x_
summer27

Homework Statement

If a,b and c are the x-,y-, and z-intercepts of a plane, respectively, and d is the distance from the origin to the plane show that:

1/d2=1/a2+1/b2+1/c2

Homework Equations

distance from a point to a plane: [tex]
d=|Ax0 + By0 + Cz0 +D|/√a2+b2+c2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have been able to draw it and what I am getting is that I can make 3 right angled triangles. One would be: (O is the origin, all of these would be vectors)
AO +OD =DA
OB+ BD = DO
OC +CD =DO
I am also thinking that the distance from the plane to the origin would have to be the normal of the plane. But that's all I have.
(i'm sorry i could not get the equation written with the code)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
summer27 said:

Homework Statement

If a,b and c are the x-,y-, and z-intercepts of a plane, respectively, and d is the distance from the origin to the plane show that:

1/d2=1/a2+1/b2+1/c2

Homework Equations

distance from a point to a plane: [tex]
d=\frac{|Ax_0 + By_0 + Cz_0 +D|}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2+C^2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have been able to draw it and what I am getting is that I can make 3 right angled triangles. One would be: (O is the origin, all of these would be vectors)
AO +OD =DA
OB+ BD = DO
OC +CD =DO
I am also thinking that the distance from the plane to the origin would have to be the normal of the plane. But that's all I have.
(i'm sorry i could not get the equation written with the code)

Don't include sup tags and square root symbols in tex. Quote this to see how I fixed that fraction. Notice that the plane with those intercepts can be written as$$
\frac 1 a x + \frac 1 b y + \frac 1 c z = 1$$Now use your quoted formula to calculate the distance from ##(0,0,0)## to the plane. (I corrected your formula too.)

So the equation of the plane is [itex]f(x, y, z)= \frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}+ \frac{z}{c}= 1[/itex]. The distance from the origin to the plane will be minimum when the vector perpendicular to the plane, [itex]\nabla f(x,y,z)= \frac{1}{a}\vec{i}+ \frac{1}{b}\vec{j}+ \frac{1}{b}\vec{k}[/itex], is parallel to the vector from the origin to the point, [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]. That is, there must be some number, [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]x= \frac{\lambda}{a}[/itex]
[itex]y= \frac{\lambda}{b}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{\lambda}{c}[/itex]. (This argument is equivalent to the "Lagrange multiplier method" for dealing with max-min problems.)

Of course, since the point, (x, y, z), is on the plane, it must also satisfy the equation of the plane so we must have [itex]\frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}+ \frac{z}{c}= \frac{\lambda}{a^2}+ \frac{\lambda}{b^2}+ \frac{\lambda}{c^2}= 1[/itex]. That is, [itex]\lambda\left(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}+\frac{1}{c^2}\right)= 1[/itex] so [itex]\lambda= \frac{1}{\frac{1}{a^2}+ \frac{1}{b^2}+ \frac{1}{c^2}}[/itex].

Of course, [itex]\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}+ \frac{1}{c^2}= \frac{b^2c^2}{a^2b^2c^2}+ \frac{a^2c^2}{a^2b^2c^2}+ \frac{a^2b^2}{a^2b^2c^2}= \frac{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}{a^2b^2c^2}[/itex] so that [itex]\lambda= \frac{a^2b^2c^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex]. Putting that into [itex]x= \frac{\lambda}{a}[/itex], [itex]y= \frac{\lambda}{b}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{\lambda}{c}[/itex] gives
[itex]x= \frac{ab^2c^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex], [itex]y= \frac{a^2bc^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{a^2b^2c}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
So the equation of the plane is [itex]f(x, y, z)= \frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}+ \frac{z}{c}= 1[/itex]. The distance from the origin to the plane will be minimum when the vector perpendicular to the plane, [itex]\nabla f(x,y,z)= \frac{1}{a}\vec{i}+ \frac{1}{b}\vec{j}+ \frac{1}{b}\vec{k}[/itex], is parallel to the vector from the origin to the point, [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/itex]. That is, there must be some number, [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]x= \frac{\lambda}{a}[/itex]
[itex]y= \frac{\lambda}{b}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{\lambda}{c}[/itex]. (This argument is equivalent to the "Lagrange multiplier method" for dealing with max-min problems.)

Of course, since the point, (x, y, z), is on the plane, it must also satisfy the equation of the plane so we must have [itex]\frac{x}{a}+ \frac{y}{b}+ \frac{z}{c}= \frac{\lambda}{a^2}+ \frac{\lambda}{b^2}+ \frac{\lambda}{c^2}= 1[/itex]. That is, [itex]\lambda\left(\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}+\frac{1}{c^2}\right)= 1[/itex] so [itex]\lambda= \frac{1}{\frac{1}{a^2}+ \frac{1}{b^2}+ \frac{1}{c^2}}[/itex].

Of course, [itex]\frac{1}{a^2}+\frac{1}{b^2}+ \frac{1}{c^2}= \frac{b^2c^2}{a^2b^2c^2}+ \frac{a^2c^2}{a^2b^2c^2}+ \frac{a^2b^2}{a^2b^2c^2}= \frac{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}{a^2b^2c^2}[/itex] so that [itex]\lambda= \frac{a^2b^2c^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex]. Putting that into [itex]x= \frac{\lambda}{a}[/itex], [itex]y= \frac{\lambda}{b}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{\lambda}{c}[/itex] gives
[itex]x= \frac{ab^2c^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex], [itex]y= \frac{a^2bc^2}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex], and [itex]z= \frac{a^2b^2c}{b^2c^2+ a^2c^2+ a^2b^2}[/itex].
This might be irrelevant to the OP, who after all, has posted in the Precalculus section.

Related to Distance of x,y and z intercepts of a plane

What is the formula for finding the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane?

The formula for finding the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane is given by:
Distance of x-intercept: |Ax + By + Cz + D| / √(A² + B² + C²)
Distance of y-intercept: |Ax + By + Cz + D| / √(A² + B² + C²)
Distance of z-intercept: |Ax + By + Cz + D| / √(A² + B² + C²)
Where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the plane's equation and D is the constant term.

How do I find the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane using its equation?

To find the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane using its equation, you can simply substitute the values of A, B, C, and D into the formula mentioned above and calculate the distance for each intercept. This will give you the shortest distance from the origin to each intercept point.

Can the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane be negative?

No, the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane cannot be negative. Distance is always a positive value, representing the shortest distance between two points. If the plane does not intersect with a particular axis, the distance of that intercept will be 0.

What does the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane tell us about the plane?

The distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane tells us about its orientation and position in space. It helps us understand how far the plane is from the origin and the angle at which it intersects with each axis. This information is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

Can the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane be different for different coordinate systems?

Yes, the distance of x, y, and z intercepts of a plane can be different for different coordinate systems. This is because the orientation and position of the plane may change with respect to different coordinate systems. However, the distance will always remain the same for a particular coordinate system.