Distance of alpha particle to gold nucleus

In summary, the predictions of Rutherford's scattering formula are only valid when the incoming particles are only affected by the electromagnetic force and not the strong nuclear force. Therefore, for alpha particles with an energy greater than 32MeV, the formula breaks down and cannot accurately predict the radius of the gold nucleus.
Linus Pauling
1. The predictions of Rutherford's scattering formula failed to correspond with experimental data when the energy of the incoming alpha particles exceeded 32MeV. This can be explained by the fact that the predictions of the formula apply when the only force involved is the electromagnetic force and will break down if the incoming particles make contact with the nucleus. Use the fact that Rutherford's prediction ceases to be valid for alpha particles with an energy greater than 32MeV to estimate the radius r of the gold nucleus.
2. In the previous problem, I found r = 79e2 / 4pi*epsilon0mpv2
3. 32MeV = 32*106eV = 5.1264*10-12 J

I then did KE = 0.5mpv2, solving for mpv with KE = to the above value. This value is in the denominator of the equation for r given above. Doing the calculation I obtain 1.8*10-15 m, which is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Linus Pauling said:
2. In the previous problem, I found r = 79e2 / 4pi*epsilon0mpv2
That doesn't seem right, for two reasons:

1) 79e2 should instead be
(charge of gold nucleus)x(charge of alpha particle)​
The gold nucleus has 79e, and an alpha particle's charge is ___?

2) The mpv2 kinetic energy term is missing the factor of 1/2. (This might be a simple typo on your part.) It's probably easier to simply replace this with "KE" or "5.1264*10-12J" however.

3. 32MeV = 32*106eV = 5.1264*10-12 J

I then did KE = 0.5mpv2, solving for mpv with KE = to the above value. This value is in the denominator of the equation for r given above. Doing the calculation I obtain 1.8*10-15 m, which is incorrect.
That's in the right ballpark, so hopefully using the correct charge for an alpha particle, and making sure you include the kinetic energy properly, fixes things.

Related to Distance of alpha particle to gold nucleus

1. What is the distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus?

The distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus can vary depending on the specific conditions of the experiment. However, on average, the distance is approximately 10 femtometers (fm) or 1 x 10^-15 meters.

2. How is the distance of an alpha particle to a gold nucleus measured?

The distance of an alpha particle to a gold nucleus is typically measured using a technique called Rutherford scattering. This involves firing alpha particles at a gold foil and observing the angle at which they scatter, which can then be used to calculate the distance.

3. What factors can affect the distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus?

The distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the energy of the alpha particle, the mass of the gold nucleus, and the angle at which the alpha particle is fired.

4. Why is the distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus important?

The distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus is important because it can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of atoms. It was through the study of this distance that Ernest Rutherford was able to propose the nuclear model of the atom.

5. What is the significance of the distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus in nuclear physics?

The distance between an alpha particle and a gold nucleus is significant in nuclear physics because it is a fundamental aspect of the structure of atoms. It also plays a crucial role in various nuclear processes, such as fusion reactions and radioactive decay.