Distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates

In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, the geodesic distance between two points can be approximated as the Euclidean distance if the points are close to each other. However, it can be more complicated if the points are far away from each other.
shooride
Hi,
I read somewhere the geodesic distance between an arbitrary point ##x## and the base point ##x_0## in normal coordinates is just the Euclidean distance. Why?! That's the part I don't understand. I know that one can write
[itex]
g_{\mu \nu} = \delta_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{6} (R_{\mu \rho \nu \sigma} + R_{\mu \sigma \nu \rho} ) (x^\rho-x_0^\rho) (x^\sigma-x_0^\sigma) + \dots
[/itex]
I've tried to figure out the square of the distance (which seems more simple than the distance) in normal coordinates. The calculations wasn't clear, what I get is
[itex]
d(x,x_0)^2=g_{\mu\nu} (x^\mu-x_0^\mu)(x^\nu-x_0^\nu) +1/3 R_{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}x^\rho x^\sigma(x^\mu-x_0^\mu)(x^\mu- x_0^\nu) + \dots
[/itex]
Where am I doing anything wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
shooride said:
Hi,
I read somewhere the geodesic distance between an arbitrary point ##x## and the base point ##x_0## in normal coordinates is just the Euclidean distance. Why?! That's the part I don't understand.

This certainly can't be exactly true for points arbitrarily far away. You might want to find a reference that discusses this point and see what it actually says.

Likes shooride
bcrowell said:
This certainly can't be exactly true for points arbitrarily far away. You might want to find a reference that discusses this point and see what it actually says.
You are right! AFAIK, one can consider normal coordinates for points which are near to each others, right?! However, it's a little cryptic to me, again.. Under what conditions can one consider the geodesic distance equals to Euclidean distance? The only thing I can say is ##d(x,x_0)^2=(x^\mu-x_0^\mu)(x_\mu-{x_0}_\mu)+O(x^4)## Is this true? Unfortunately, I couldn't find a proper reference..Could you please introduce me a proper reference where I can find distance function in normal coordinates?

There is more than one thing that people refer to as normal coordinates: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gaussian-normal-coordinates.149978/ IIRC there are definitions and theorems about existence in the neighborhood of a point or in the neighborhood of a geodesic. I don't think it matters too much whether the metric is Riemannian or semi-Riemannian. MTW (p. 1055) defines normal coordinates in the neighborhood of a point as obeying the criterion ##g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}## and ##\partial_\lambda g_{\mu\nu}=0## at that point. If that's the definition that's appropriate for you, then maybe you can prove that the error is ##O(x^4)##. This seems a little tricky to me because presumably ##d(x,x_0)## should be defined along the *exact* geodesic from ##x## to ##x_0##.

bcrowell said:
There is more than one thing that people refer to as normal coordinates: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/gaussian-normal-coordinates.149978/ IIRC there are definitions and theorems about existence in the neighborhood of a point or in the neighborhood of a geodesic. I don't think it matters too much whether the metric is Riemannian or semi-Riemannian. MTW (p. 1055) defines normal coordinates in the neighborhood of a point as obeying the criterion ##g_{\mu\nu}=\eta_{\mu\nu}## and ##\partial_\lambda g_{\mu\nu}=0## at that point. If that's the definition that's appropriate for you, then maybe you can prove that the error is ##O(x^4)##. This seems a little tricky to me because presumably ##d(x,x_0)## should be defined along the *exact* geodesic from ##x## to ##x_0##.
Yeah... I think everything is starting to be a bit clearer now!

Related to Distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates

What is a distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates?

A distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates is a mathematical tool used to measure the distance between two points in a Riemannian manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the manifold and provides a more accurate measurement compared to Euclidean distance.

How is a distance function calculated in Riemannian normal coordinates?

A distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates is calculated using the Riemannian metric, which is a mathematical expression that quantifies the curvature of a manifold. This metric is then used to calculate the length of the shortest path connecting two points on the manifold, taking into account the curvature of the manifold.

What are the advantages of using a distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates?

Using a distance function in Riemannian normal coordinates allows for a more accurate measurement of distance on curved manifolds. This is especially useful in fields such as physics, where accurate measurements of distance are crucial for understanding the behavior of objects in curved spaces.

What are some applications of distance functions in Riemannian normal coordinates?

Distance functions in Riemannian normal coordinates have a wide range of applications, including in general relativity, differential geometry, and computer vision. They are also used in navigation systems, as they provide more accurate measurements of distance on curved surfaces.

Are there any limitations to using distance functions in Riemannian normal coordinates?

One limitation of using distance functions in Riemannian normal coordinates is that they can only be applied to Riemannian manifolds, which have a well-defined metric. Additionally, calculating distance on highly curved manifolds can be computationally intensive and may require advanced mathematical techniques.