Distance Education - Linear Algebra

In summary, the speaker is interested in distance education for learning Linear Algebra and is familiar with options like EPGY and JHU. They are looking for other options and wondering if anyone has experience with them. The speaker also asks if it is possible to learn Linear Algebra without a classroom atmosphere and mentions resources available outside of the internet. The responder shares their experience with learning Linear Algebra through CTY Distance and suggests self-studying or taking advantage of resources like MIT OCW. They also discuss the benefits of a classroom atmosphere and mention that taking a class through EPGY or CTY would be a middle ground option.
dtl42
Hey,
I'm interested in Distance Education, specifically for Linear Algebra. I know about the standard EPGY, and JHU, etc. I know there must be better, or at least other options out there and I was wondering if anyone has experience with them. Also is Linear algebra a course you can take without really having that "classroom" atmosphere? I will have some resources outside of the internet, but not full time.

Thanks very much,
Dtl42

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure can, it won't be a problem.

I did linear algebra through CTY Distance last summer. The text is Lay's Linear Algebra and Its Applications, which, as its title suggests, is somewhat "computational". However, I still think its not a bad introduction to the subject. Plus, the instructor sends you tests and practice tests (problem sets, really), which include some problems a bit more challenging than the exercises in the book.

I guess you have two other options if you want to learn linear algebra: take it at a nearby college, or study it yourself. I'd suggest trying the latter if you have the discipline. If you do this, then perhaps you might want to take advantage of the problems sets, exams, lectures, etc. that can be found on MIT OCW (try http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-06Spring-2005/CourseHome/index.htm and http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-700Fall-2005/CourseHome/index.htm).

The benefits of a "classroom atmosphere" include having an organized, structured course and having the ability to seek help from the professor or other students. Studying yourself, of course, is the cheapest option. Taking a class through EPGY or CTY would be like an intermediate option: for the most part, you're on your own, but there's structure to the course.

Can anyone tell me how to start a thread?=)

Related to Distance Education - Linear Algebra

1. What is distance education?

Distance education is a method of learning where students and instructors are physically separated, and instruction is delivered through various means of technology, such as online platforms, video conferencing, and correspondence. This allows students to learn from a remote location and at their own pace.

2. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, matrices, vector spaces, and linear transformations. It is a fundamental tool in many fields of science and engineering, including computer graphics, economics, physics, and statistics.

3. How is linear algebra taught in a distance education setting?

In distance education, linear algebra is typically taught through online lectures, video tutorials, and interactive exercises. Students may also have access to online textbooks and resources, and may communicate with their instructors through email or online forums.

4. What are the benefits of learning linear algebra through distance education?

Distance education offers flexibility and convenience, allowing students to access course materials and lectures from anywhere and at any time. This can be especially helpful for students who have busy schedules or live in remote areas. Additionally, online resources and communication platforms can provide a more personalized learning experience.

5. Are there any challenges to learning linear algebra through distance education?

One challenge of distance education is the lack of face-to-face interaction with instructors and classmates, which can make it more difficult for students to ask questions and receive immediate feedback. Additionally, students may need to have strong time-management skills and self-motivation to keep up with the coursework and stay on track.