Google Easter Eggs: I'm Feeling Lucky!

• News
  • Thread starter cytokinesis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, by typing in either "French Military Victories" or "Weapons of Mass Destruction" and clicking the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button on Google, one can find clever and humorous responses. However, these are not actually caused by Google, but rather by people manipulating Google's algorithms. Google's search system also uses crosslinking and a rating system based on how pages are linked to others.
cytokinesis
www.google.com

type in either

French Military Victories

or

Weapons of Mass Destruction

And click the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button. Two very clever responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are quite humorous, although they had already been mentioned in another thread. I wonder if anyone knows of more?

Those are the only two I've ever come across. I wonder how one would find such things...

The only way I can think of..

...would be to perform a Google search.

hahahaha yeah i suppose.

But the chances of running into something like that are slim to nil, unless you know what to look for.

yes and who regularly clicks the 'im feeling lucky' button?

OK people let's investigate.

I found one (kinda)

typing in bill gates gives you the microsoft page.

sounds normal yes but think about it.....shouldn't occur his name isn't on it.

It's a pay off!

google sucks brings up this weird page:

http://www.google-sucks.org/

not that it's setup but weird anyways.

BiologyForums,

Google does more than just look for certain words on a page and link to it. It uses a system of crosslinking..it finds links to the page used in the same context as as keywords, and it also uses how it's linked to other pages for a rating system. And there's stuff that they keep secret.

i don't think Google was actually responsilbe for the 'weapons of mass destruction' and 'french military victories' jokes, anyone can use googles algorithms to make these things happen. it's just because when you press 'i'm feeling lucky' you get sent to the site with the most hits. so what you do is you create a site that can look like an error page, then post the address on ALOT of forums and send it to a lot of people, then eventually when you search for the key words pressing I'm feeling lucky will send you to that page as it has the most hits.

or something similar

1. What is the "I'm Feeling Lucky!" button on Google?

The "I'm Feeling Lucky!" button on Google is an alternative search feature that takes users directly to the first result for their query, bypassing the search results page. It was originally intended as a way to save users time by skipping the step of selecting a result from the list.

2. What are "Google Easter Eggs"?

"Google Easter Eggs" are hidden features or surprises within the Google search engine, often in the form of interactive games, animations, or other fun content. They are typically activated by typing in specific keywords or phrases into the search bar.

3. How do I access the "I'm Feeling Lucky!" feature?

To access the "I'm Feeling Lucky!" feature, simply type your search query into the Google search bar and click on the "I'm Feeling Lucky!" button next to the search button. This will take you directly to the first result for your query.

4. What are some popular "Google Easter Eggs"?

Some popular "Google Easter Eggs" include typing "do a barrel roll" or "askew" into the search bar to see the entire page rotate, or typing "zerg rush" to see a game where the Google O's attack the search results.

5. Can I access "Google Easter Eggs" on my mobile device?

Yes, many "Google Easter Eggs" can also be accessed on mobile devices by typing in the keywords or phrases into the search bar. Some may be limited or not available on certain devices, but many can still be accessed for some fun on-the-go.