Distance between two lines in R^3

• Thread starter SteveDC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines
In summary: To find the shortest distance between the lines, you would use the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate the length of the line segment.
SteveDC

Homework Statement

Let line L1 be the line through origin O and the point B(2,-1,-2). Let line L2 be the line through point A(3,1,-1) with direction vector i-j-k. Obtain a vector n, orthogonal to both lines. Use n and the vector OA connecting the lines to find the shortest distance between two lines.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used both direction vectors for both lines to find their cross product to obtain the vector n, orthogonal to both lines: (2i-j-2k) x (i-j-k) = -i-k

But then not sure where to go from here despite the hint in the question of using vector OA and n?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you drew a line-segment joining the closest points on the lines to each other, what sort of properties would it have?

It would have direction n and have two points, one lying on L1 and one lying on L2, but I can't think of a way of finding these points?

Given some point p1 on line 1 and some point p2 on line 2, what is the projection of the vector from point p1 to point p2 onto the vector n that is normal to both lines?

Am I right in saying that vector p1>p2 projected onto n would always be the distance between the two lines, but even if this is the case, how would you find the smallest value for this to find the shortest distance.

Write an expression for some arbitrary point p1 on line 1 and some arbitrary point p2 on line 2. What is the projection of p2-p1 onto a vector perpendicular to both lines?

It's perhaps better if you any two arbitrary lines rather than your specific lines because the result is very general.

Hint: Use ##\vec p_i + \lambda\vec \tau_i## as the equation of a line passing through some point pi.

The line of "shortest distance" between two lines is, as said above, perpendicular to both lines. Find the plane perpendicular to the first line at an arbitrary point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex]. Determine the point, [itex](x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex], where the second line crosses that plane. Determine what [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] must be so the line between [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] and [itex](x_1, y_1, z_1)[/itex] is also pependicular the second line.

That's an alternative approach, Halls, that isn't quite pertinent to the problem at hand. The OP was asked to use the normal to both lines and a line segment connecting a point on one line to a point on the other line.

Related to Distance between two lines in R^3

1. What is the formula for finding the distance between two lines in R^3?

The formula for finding the distance between two lines in R^3 is given by the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines. This can be calculated by using the vector projection formula or by finding the distance between a point on one line and the closest point on the other line.

2. Can the distance between two lines in R^3 be negative?

No, the distance between two lines in R^3 cannot be negative. Distance is a measure of the shortest distance between two points, and it is always a positive value.

3. How is the distance between two parallel lines in R^3 calculated?

The distance between two parallel lines in R^3 can be calculated by finding the distance between any point on one line and the closest point on the other line. This can be done by finding the perpendicular distance between the two lines.

4. Is the distance between two lines in R^3 affected by the direction of the lines?

No, the distance between two lines in R^3 is not affected by the direction of the lines. The distance is calculated based on the shortest distance between any two points on the two lines, regardless of their direction.

5. Can the distance between two lines in R^3 be infinite?

Yes, the distance between two lines in R^3 can be infinite if the lines are parallel and do not intersect. In this case, there is no closest point between the two lines, resulting in an infinite distance.