Distance between train and its carriage

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a variable, A, in a problem involving a train and carriage with known distances and forces. The final solution involves using the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as and taking A = 2 to arrive at the correct answer.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-12_11-23-55.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say that the last carriage gets uncoupled at time t = 0s and at this time the train has moved a distance ##l_0##.The resistive force could be given as ## F_r = AM##, where A is the appropriate constant and M is the mass of the system.

The pulling force is constant and since the train before getting uncoupled was moving with constant velocity, ## F_p = MA##.

After uncoupling,

The resistive force on the train gets reduced by mA, but the pulling force remains same. So, it has an acceleration ## a_t = \frac { mA } { M-m } ##.While the carriage has an acceleration ## a_c = -A## .

Let's say that the train stops at time t. According to the question, by this time, the train has moved a distance l.

So,

## l = l_0 +vt+ \frac { mA } {2( M-m) } t^2## ……….(1)

Let's say that the carriage stops at time ##t_1## after traveling a distance ##l_c ## after t=0s.

## l_c = l_0 + vt_1 - \frac { A{t_1}^2 } { 2 } ##...(2)

## 0 = v– At_1##...(3)

## t_1 = \frac {v } {A } ## ……….(4)

Putting (4) into (2), I will get ##l_c## in terms of A.

And I have l in terms of A and t.

So, I need one more equation to calculate d in terms of known quantities.

What to do now?
I have to calculate ## d = l-l_c##.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-12_11-23-55.png
    upload_2017-12-12_11-23-55.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 845
Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
at this time the train has moved a distance ##l_0##.
Might as well make that 0.
Pushoam said:
Let's say that the train stops at time t. According to the question, by this time, the train has moved a distance l.
No, the engine is shut off after distance l. It decelerates from there at the same rate as the carriage (unless that has already stopped).

haruspex said:
Might as well make that 0.

No, the engine is shut off after distance l. It decelerates from there at the same rate as the carriage (unless that has already stopped).
So, the stopping of engine does not mean the stopping of train.
Using ## s = s_0 + vt + \frac { at^2 } { 2 } ## made the calculation too long.

So, I thought of using ## v^2 = u^2 + 2as##. Is there anyway to know it beforehand that which eqn I should use for a given problem.

The distance traveled by the carriage after uncoupling, ## l_c = \frac { v^2 } {2A } ##.

The speed of the train at the time of the stopping of engine ## v_t = \sqrt{ \left( v^2 + \frac {2ml } { M-m} \right)}##.

The distance traveled by the train after the engine stops, ## l_e = \frac { \left( v^2 + \frac {2ml } { M-m} \right) } { 2A } ##.

So, ## d = l + l_e – l_c = l\{ 1+\frac {2m } { A(M-m)}\}##Still, the value of A is unknown.

Taking A = 2, ## d= \frac {Ml } { M-m}## , which is the option(b).

Using, common sense, the distance has to be greater than and only the option (b) shows this.

Is this correct?

Pushoam said:
which is the option(b).
That is what I got.
The result is so much simpler than the equations along the way I feel there must be an easier approach.

haruspex said:
That is what I got.
Did you solve using some other approach?
Or you also took A = 2 or simply eliminated the unreasonable options?

Pushoam said:
Did you solve using some other approach?
No, it was essentially the same as yours.

Thanks haruspex.
It feels so good to study with your help.
Thanks a lot.

Related to Distance between train and its carriage

1. What is the distance between a train and its carriage?

The distance between a train and its carriage can vary depending on the type of train and carriage being used. Generally, the distance can range from a few feet to several yards. It is important for this distance to be properly maintained for safety reasons.

2. How is the distance between a train and its carriage measured?

The distance between a train and its carriage is typically measured using specialized equipment such as laser distance meters or tape measures. This measurement is usually taken at designated points on the train and carriage to ensure accuracy.

3. Why is it important to maintain a specific distance between a train and its carriage?

The distance between a train and its carriage is critical for the safe operation of the train. If the distance is too short, it can cause collisions or damage to the train and its carriage. If the distance is too long, it can result in instability and difficulty controlling the train.

4. How does the distance between a train and its carriage impact passenger safety?

The distance between a train and its carriage is directly related to passenger safety. If the distance is not properly maintained, it can cause accidents or injuries to passengers. It is important for train operators to regularly check and adjust the distance to ensure the safety of passengers.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines regarding the distance between a train and its carriage?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by government agencies and train companies regarding the distance between a train and its carriage. These regulations and guidelines are in place to ensure the safety of passengers and the proper functioning of the train. Train operators are required to adhere to these regulations and guidelines at all times.