Distance between electron and proton in Hydrogen

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the probability of finding an electron more than 0.1 nm away from a proton in a hydrogen atom with a specific wave function. The resulting probability was found to be 0.09957. There was some discussion about the validity of this result and the relation between the Bohr radius and the distance between the electron and proton. Ultimately, the conversation concluded that the Bohr radius is the average distance between the proton and electron in the ground state of the hydrogen atom.
skrat

Homework Statement

I had to calculate the probability that we find electron more than 0.1 nm away from proton in Hydrogen atoms if ##\psi _{n,l,m}=\psi _{1,0,0}## (i don't know the english word for this state, but I think we all know what we are talking about :D)
My result is 0.09957.

Now I am questioning myself if that makes any sense at all... Correct me if I am wrong: Bohr radius is expected value for distance between electron and proton in Hydrogen atoms for ##\psi _{1,0,0}##.
If that is true, and if ##r_B=5.29*10^{-11}m## than my result makes some sense...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##\psi _{1,0,0}=R_{1,0}(r)Y_{0,0}(\theta ,\varphi )## where ##R_{1,0}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{4\pi }}\frac{2}{r^{3/2}}e^{-\frac{r}{r_B}}##

than ##P(r>0.1 nm)=\int_{0.1 nm}^{\infty }\frac{1}{4\pi }\frac{4}{r^{3}}e^{-\frac{2r}{r_B}}4\pi r^2dr##

##P(r>0.1 nm)=\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{0.2 nm}{r_B}}^{\infty }u^2e^{-u} dr##

##P(r>0.1 nm)=\frac{1}{2}e^{\frac{0.2nm}{r_B}}(4(\frac{0.1 nm}{r_B})^{2}-4(\frac{0.1 nm}{r_B})+2)##

which should be 0.09957...

Does this sound ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your last expression, are you sure all of the signs are correct in the factor multiplying the exponential?

Also, is there a typo in the sign of the argument of the exponential?

TSny said:
In your last expression, are you sure all of the signs are correct in the factor multiplying the exponential?

Also, is there a typo in the sign of the argument of the exponential?

true, there is a mistake, let's say that ##r_0=0.1 nm## than

##P(r>r_0)=\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{2r_0}{r_B}}^{\infty }u^2e^{-u} dr##

this is now, according to a book: ##\int x^2e^{ax}=e^{ax}(\frac{x^2}{a}-2\frac{x}{a^2}+2\frac{1}{a^3})## in my case a=-1

so ## P(r>r_0)=\frac{1}{2}(0-e^{-\frac{2r_0}{r_B}}(-\frac{4r_{0}^{2}}{r_{B}^{2}}-4\frac{r_{0}}{r_{B}}-2)##

which means that you are right...

##P(r>r_0)=\frac{1}{2} e^{-\frac{2r_0}{r_B}}(\frac{4r_{0}^{2}}{r_{B}^{2}}+4\frac{r_{0}}{r_{B}}+2)=0.272##

right?

That looks good to me.

Just one question:
Does bohr radius have any relation with the distance between the electron and proton?

I'm not sure what you are asking. Can you be more specific?

Is Bohr radius the average distance between the proton and electron or is it not?

In other words: what is bohr radius? I can't remember if my professor told us exactly what it is, so to me, at this moment, Bohr radius is just a number I don't really understand...

Historically, the bohr radius is the radius of the circular orbit of the ground state in the old "Bohr model" of the hydrogen atom.

In the quantum mechanical description, the bohr radius happens to be the distance r from the proton at which the radial probability density is maximum.

Thanks!

Related to Distance between electron and proton in Hydrogen

1. What is the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom?

The average distance between the electron and proton in a Hydrogen atom is approximately 0.053 nanometers, or 5.3 x 10^-11 meters.

2. Why is the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom important?

The distance between the electron and proton in a Hydrogen atom is important because it determines the size and stability of the atom. If the distance is too small, the electron would be pulled into the nucleus by the proton's positive charge, causing the atom to collapse. If the distance is too large, the electron would not be strongly attracted to the proton, leading to an unstable atom.

3. How is the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom calculated?

The distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom can be calculated using the Bohr model of the atom, which takes into account the forces of attraction and repulsion between the two particles.

4. Does the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom change?

No, the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom remains constant. However, the electron can move between energy levels, which changes the distance between the electron and proton in relation to the nucleus.

5. Can the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom be measured?

Yes, the distance between an electron and a proton in a Hydrogen atom can be measured using advanced techniques such as X-ray crystallography or electron microscopy. However, these methods can only give an average distance, as the electron's position is constantly changing due to its wave-like nature.