4 shop vacuum units in a series-parallel arrangement

In summary, the individual is installing a central vacuum in their new house and is considering using 4 shop vacuum units instead of a factory power unit. This would result in savings of $800 and would provide better suction and airflow. The individual also plans to use minimal filtration and a 50-gallon trash container as an enclosure for debris collection. They are open to suggestions for the baffle arrangement and admit that this may not be the most cost-effective way to install a central vacuum.
GENIERE
I’m installing a central vacuum in another house I just purchased. I’m not sure what I’ll do with it but a little improvement should make it a good investment. Rather than use a factory power unit, I’ve decided to use 4 shop vacuum units in a series-parallel arrangement. The highest specifications I could find re: a factory unit is a suction specified as 125 inches of water, and airflow of about 250cfm. The best of the shop vacuum specifications was about 90 inches of water and 150cfm of airflow. Although money is not an issue, savings would be about $800.00 using the 4 shop vacuums ($450.00 vs. $1250.00).

The reason for the multiple units is to increase suction and air flow to exceed the factory unit. Suction increase would be achieved by 2 units in series and to increase air flow, they will be connected in parallel with another 2 units in series. Shop vacuums do not use the debris-laden air for cooling but use fans circulating surrounding air.

Any flaws in above?

I want to use minimal filtration in the system, but some is necessary, as particulates will abrade the vacuum fans. To use only limited filtering, I plan to draw from a baffled enclosure wherein the baffles and volume of the enclosure will sufficiently slow air speed to allow larger particles to drop out. Final exhaust will be outside the house. The enclosure will be a 50-gallon trash container; the lid replaced by the baffle components and the input/output ports. I’d like to have about a 30-gallon debris collection volume.

I would appreciate suggestions for the baffle arrangement.

Why am I re-inventing the wheel? I have no idea. When finished, I’ll probably have spent twice as much money compared to a professionally installed system. Retirement is dangerous. My wife thinks that anything that gets me out of the house is a good idea.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless the suction is so big that one of the units in series implodes (probably won't happen) yes that could work.

1. What is a series-parallel arrangement for shop vacuum units?

A series-parallel arrangement involves connecting multiple shop vacuum units in both series and parallel configurations. This allows for increased suction power and more efficient cleaning.

2. How does a series-parallel arrangement affect the performance of shop vacuum units?

A series-parallel arrangement can significantly improve the performance of shop vacuum units. By connecting them in both series and parallel, the units can work together to increase suction power and cover a larger area.

3. What are the benefits of using a series-parallel arrangement for shop vacuum units?

The main benefit of a series-parallel arrangement is the increased suction power and coverage area. This can be especially useful for larger or more challenging cleaning tasks. It can also help extend the lifespan of the individual units by distributing the workload among them.

4. Are there any downsides to using a series-parallel arrangement for shop vacuum units?

While there are many benefits, there are also some downsides to consider. One potential issue is the increased complexity of the system, which may require more maintenance and troubleshooting. Additionally, using multiple units at once may result in higher energy consumption.

5. Is a series-parallel arrangement suitable for all types of shop vacuum units?

Not all shop vacuum units may be suitable for a series-parallel arrangement. It is important to check with the manufacturer to ensure that the units are compatible and that the arrangement will not void any warranties. It is also important to properly balance the units to avoid overloading any individual unit.