Distance Audible from Cosmic Ray Sound

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the audible distance of a sound produced by a 10^20 ev proton striking the atmosphere a km up and creating a vertical down to the ground. The conversation discusses the equation for intensity, the power needed to calculate it, and the efficiency of energy cascading. The calculated sound intensity is barely audible at 27 dB in the most audible range. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of sonic booms due to the particles moving faster than sound.
SpitfireAce
this isn't HW, it is more for myself, I don't want answers or links to arvix papers... I am stuck and I just need something to help me proceed... a 10^20 ev proton strikes the atmosphere a km up and creates a vertical down to the ground, the energy is evenly distributed along this vertical, assume all the energy is converted to sound, up to what distance will this sound be audible... here's where I am... I think I want to find the intensity and see what it is at some distance away from the vertical... Intensity=Power/Area... for area I use (2r)(pi)(h)+(2pi)(r^2)... is this right? now I don't know how to get the power, do I just do Energy over time where the time is the time it takes the particle to travel a km, or do I use some other equation for power (I looked through some... I found it in terms of sound pressure, and then the sound pressure is in terms of particle velocity, angular momentum, or displacement, I am assuming this refers to the air particles, and I am not sure how to get any of these from energy) Any help would be greatly appreciated, it doesn't have to be eloquent, anything that I can use! I wanted to do this by myself but searching for reliable explanations of formulas on the internet is so frustrating =(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

An air shower caused by one cosmic ray, can be "many kilometers wide."

The cosmic ray of energy E=1020 eV equates to 1.6 x 108 ergs. Take the area impinging on Earth to be A=100 km2, i.e., 1012 cm2. The pressure on Earth, having been mediated through interactions in an atmospheric cone (V=Ah/3, where V is its volume and h is its effective height, ~10 km=106 cm), is much less even than the the following consideration, which assumes an efficiency of 100% for energy cascading:

p=3E/Ah=5 x 10-10 dyne/cm2

Thanks a lot Loren =)
according to you're calculations, the sound should still be audible (by ear) to someone about 5.5 km away from the vertical... which sounds too good, even with the 100% energy to sound transfer... is there some way to make this more exact?

At f=1000 Hz, defining zero decibels as z=10-12 W/m2 and with p=5 x 10-10 dyne/cm2, I figure the sound intensity in decibels to be:

log10(pf/z)=27 dB

barely audible, even at 100% efficiency and in the most audible range.

Just one correction, the last equation should read

10log10(pf/z)=27 dB

wouldn't the particles be going faster than sound and emitting sonic booms and such... I can't find one equation that describes this

A guess.

The slight density gradient of the upper atmosphere would dissipate particles' energy gradually since their equivalent phonon wavelength is negligible to intermolecular distances there.

Related to Distance Audible from Cosmic Ray Sound

What is distance audible from cosmic ray sound?

Distance audible from cosmic ray sound refers to the maximum distance at which sound waves produced by cosmic rays can be detected by human ears. This distance varies depending on several factors, such as the intensity of the sound and the sensitivity of the human ear.

How are cosmic rays able to produce sound?

Cosmic rays are high energy particles that travel through space at nearly the speed of light. When these particles collide with molecules in Earth's atmosphere, they create a shockwave that produces sound waves. These sound waves can then travel through the air and be detected by human ears.

What is the speed of sound produced by cosmic rays?

The speed of sound produced by cosmic rays can vary greatly depending on the energy and type of particle involved. On average, the speed of sound produced by cosmic rays is around 330 meters per second, which is the same as the speed of sound in Earth's atmosphere.

Can cosmic ray sound be heard in space?

No, cosmic ray sound cannot be heard in space. Sound waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through. In the vacuum of space, there is no medium to carry the sound waves, so they cannot be heard.

How does the distance audible from cosmic ray sound compare to other types of sounds?

The distance audible from cosmic ray sound is much greater than other types of sounds that can be heard on Earth. For example, the average distance audible for a conversation between two people is about 20 meters, while the distance audible for a sonic boom is around 50 meters. Cosmic ray sound, on the other hand, can be heard from distances of up to several kilometers.