Dissociation Constant Homework Check

In summary, HF is a soluble ion with a pH of 2.2 that dissociates into H3O+ and F- when mixed with water. The dissociation constant for HF is 2.0 x 10^-5.
yellowduck
Question:
A solution of hydrofluoric acid contains 2.0g of HF per litre and has a pH of 2.2. What is the dissociation constant for HF?

My Answer:
HF + H2O <-> H3O+ + F-

HF = 2.0g
H30+ = 10^-2.2 = .0063g
F- = H3O = .0063

Ka = [H3O+][F-] / HF
= (.0063)(.0063) / 2.0
=1.98 x 10^-5

Therefore the dissociation constant for HF is 2.0 x 10^-5

Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yellowduck said:
Question:
HF = 2.0g
To find [tex]K_a[/tex] you need the concentration of [tex]HF[/tex] expressed in [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex]. Convert [tex]2.0 g.dm^{-3}[/tex] to [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex] using molar mass.
yellowduck said:
Question:
H30+ = 10^-2.2 = .0063g
The concentration of [tex]H_3O^+[/tex] that you calculated using that expression is molar concentration, so the units are [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex].

PPonte said:
To find [tex]K_a[/tex] you need the concentration of [tex]HF[/tex] expressed in [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex]. Convert [tex]2.0 g.dm^{-3}[/tex] to [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex] using molar mass.

The concentration of [tex]H_3O^+[/tex] that you calculated using that expression is molar concentration, so the units are [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex].

My Text mentions nothing about [tex]mol.dm^{-3}[/tex]
it does say to calculate [tex][H_3O^{+}] = 10^{-x}[/tex]
So that's how I got .0063 mol/L

I also have, from the text the formula for calculating the acid dissociation constant [tex]K_{a}[/tex]

Ka = [H30+][X-] / [HX]

yellowduck said:
So that's how I got .0063 mol/L
That's right you got [tex]0.0063 mol/L[/tex]! But you indicated on your previous post:

yellowduck said:
Question:
H30+ = 10^-2.2 = .0063g

I am just correcting the units. It is not grams but mol/dm3 or mol/L, since 1 L = 1 dm3.
You, maybe, ask why the units are those. Because you find the pH of a solution from the molar concentration of [tex]H_3O^+[/tex]. The expression is:
[tex]pH = - \log\left[ H_3O^{+}_{(aq)} ][/tex]

Then, using that expression, knowing the value of pH, you can just find the molar concentration of [tex]H_3O^+[/tex].
--------
yellowduck said:
I also have, from the text the formula for calculating the acid dissociation constant [tex]K_{a}[/tex]
Ka = [H30+][X-] / [HX]

The formula is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... yes I seem to mess up on the units sometimes.

I would like to do this all in mol/L if possible. (we have been taught to this point only in mol/L)

So does this look better?
HF + H2O <-> H3O+ + F-

HF = 1+19=20 g/mol
2g HF x 1 mol HF / 20g HF = .1 mol HF
So HF = .1 mol/L

H30+ = 10^-2.2 = .0063 mol/L
F- = H3O = .0063 mol/L

Ka = [H3O+][F-] / HF
= (.0063)(.0063) / .1
=4.0 x 10^-4

Therefore the dissociation constant for HF is 4.0 x 10^-4

Can you please give me your feedback on this?

Thank you very much for all your help. This forum and people who help have been a valuable resource.

yellowduck said:
Hmm... yes I seem to mess up on the units sometimes.

I would like to do this all in mol/L if possible. (we have been taught to this point only in mol/L)

So does this look better?
HF + H2O <-> H3O+ + F-

HF = 1+19=20 g/mol
2g HF x 1 mol HF / 20g HF = .1 mol HF
So HF = .1 mol/L

H30+ = 10^-2.2 = .0063 mol/L
F- = H3O = .0063 mol/L

Ka = [H3O+][F-] / HF
= (.0063)(.0063) / .1
=4.0 x 10^-4

Therefore the dissociation constant for HF is 4.0 x 10^-4

Can you please give me your feedback on this?

Thank you very much for all your help. This forum and people who help have been a valuable resource.

Looks good to me :smile:

Thank you PPonte and Hootenanny for taking the time to review my work and help me out.

Thanks Again.

My pleasure! :approve:

Related to Dissociation Constant Homework Check

1. What is the dissociation constant (Kd) and how is it calculated?

The dissociation constant (Kd) is a measure of the strength of the interaction between a ligand and its target molecule. It is calculated by dividing the rate of dissociation (koff) by the rate of association (kon), with the resulting value representing the equilibrium dissociation constant (Kd = koff/kon).

2. How does the dissociation constant affect the binding affinity of a ligand?

The dissociation constant is inversely proportional to the binding affinity of a ligand. This means that a lower Kd value indicates a stronger binding affinity, while a higher Kd value indicates a weaker binding affinity.

3. What factors can influence the dissociation constant?

The dissociation constant can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pH, and the presence of other molecules or ions that may compete for binding to the target molecule.

4. How is the dissociation constant used in drug discovery and development?

The dissociation constant is a crucial parameter in drug discovery and development, as it can help scientists understand the strength of a ligand-target interaction and guide the optimization of drug candidates. A lower Kd value is desirable for potential drug molecules, as it indicates a stronger binding affinity and potentially better efficacy.

5. Can the dissociation constant be used to compare different ligands targeting the same molecule?

Yes, the dissociation constant can be used to compare the binding affinities of different ligands targeting the same molecule. A lower Kd value indicates a stronger binding affinity, making it a useful metric for evaluating and prioritizing potential drug candidates.