Dissociation constant as function of T,p.

In summary, the question asks for the dissociation constant of a general reaction, 2A <-> A2, at normal pressure and a temperature of 18 degrees Celsius. The affinity constant for this reaction is given as k(T)=1.7x10^-4 mol/cm3. The author has solved for the dissociation constant using the general solution alpha=1/(sqrt(1+4k)), but is unsure how to factor in pressure and which units to use. They also ask about calculating the dissociation constant for the same reaction at a different temperature, and it is suggested that enthalpy and heat capacity data would be needed to examine temperature dependence. The author then suggests using the relation Q=RT^2 d/dT
prehisto

Homework Statement

For given general reaction 2A<->A2 the affinity constant is known k(T)=1.7 10-4 mol/cm3 (t=18 C) Find dissociation (constant) level in normal pressure.

Homework Equations

So i solved it - found the general solution for dissociation constant.
alpha=1/(sqrt(1+4k))
Now i have some quaestions,So first of all where do i factor in the pressure?
Like this alpha=1/(sqrt(1+4 p k(T))) and if yes what kind of units would be correct to use?

More importantly If i need to calculate the dissociation constant for the same reaction but only in different temperature, what should i do then ?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
PTotal = ∑Pi, where Pi are the partial pressures of all species present. Conversely, mole fraction x PTotal is the partial pressure of a selected species. Units obvious enough to you with that information?

Bystander said:
PTotal = ∑Pi, where Pi are the partial pressures of all species present. Conversely, mole fraction x PTotal is the partial pressure of a selected species. Units obvious enough to you with that information?

yes, i think units are clear now ,thanks :)

But still,not clear what to do with different temperature i know that k(t)=Exp(a),where a is function form chemical potential maybe its possible to calculate in this way. but its seems irrational.

You need enthalpy and heat capacity data (or estimates) for the reaction to examine temperature dependence.

Bystander said:
You need enthalpy and heat capacity data (or estimates) for the reaction to examine temperature dependence.

I got it!
it is possible to get relation by using reaction heat
Q=RT^2 d/dT (ln K)

Related to Dissociation constant as function of T,p.

1. What is the dissociation constant?

The dissociation constant, also known as the equilibrium constant, is a measure of the strength of a chemical bond or reaction. It represents the ratio of the concentration of products to reactants at equilibrium.

2. How does the dissociation constant vary with temperature?

The dissociation constant is temperature-dependent, meaning that it changes as the temperature changes. Generally, the dissociation constant increases as temperature increases. This is due to the fact that higher temperatures provide more energy for the reaction to occur, resulting in a higher concentration of products.

3. Is the dissociation constant affected by pressure?

In most cases, the dissociation constant is not significantly affected by pressure changes. This is because the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium remains the same, even with changes in pressure.

4. How is the dissociation constant calculated?

The dissociation constant is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants at equilibrium. This can also be expressed using the equilibrium constant expression, which includes the concentrations of each species involved in the reaction.

5. What is the significance of the dissociation constant in chemical reactions?

The dissociation constant is an important factor in determining the direction and extent of a chemical reaction. It provides information about the strength of a bond or reaction and can be used to predict the behavior of a reaction under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure. It is also used in various fields of chemistry, including biochemistry and environmental chemistry, to understand and control chemical processes.