How to Integrate by Parts Twice for e^3x cos(x)?

In summary, the integration by parts method is used when the integrand is a product of two functions. It can be applied twice if the resulting integral still contains a product of two functions. However, not all integrals can be solved using this method twice. The formula for integration by parts twice is ∫u(x)v(x) dx = u(x)∫v(x)dx - ∫[u'(x)∫v(x)dx]dx. Its purpose is to simplify complicated integrals and make them easier to solve. Some tips and tricks for using this method include wisely choosing u and v, and using it multiple times if necessary.
Klion
I am studying for a midterm, was browsing over an old midterm and found this question

[tex]
\int e^{3x} \cos{(x)}\; dx
[/tex]

Can't figure it out, help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate by parts twice. Post back if you get stuck.

erm didn't think we'd gotten that far, assignment on that section isn't due until monday. No wonder I couldn't find it hehe.

O well I have 2 hrs to learn it I'm good! :)

hmm I ended up with

[tex]
\int e^{3x} \cos{(x)}\; dx = \frac{e^{3x}\sin{(x)} + 3e^{3x} \cos{(x})} {10}
[/tex]

that sound about right?

Looks good to me.

1. How do I know when to use the integration by parts method twice?

Integration by parts method is used when the integrand is a product of two functions. If the resulting integral after applying the first integration by parts still contains a product of two functions, then you can use the method again.

2. Can I use integration by parts twice on any integral?

No, not all integrals can be solved using integration by parts twice. It is only applicable to integrals that contain a product of two functions.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts twice?

The formula for integration by parts twice is ∫u(x)v(x) dx = u(x)∫v(x)dx - ∫[u'(x)∫v(x)dx]dx

4. What is the purpose of using integration by parts twice?

The purpose of using integration by parts twice is to simplify a complicated integral into a more manageable form. It can also help in evaluating integrals that are difficult to solve using other methods.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for using integration by parts twice?

One tip is to choose u and v wisely to make the integral easier to solve. Another trick is to use integration by parts multiple times, if necessary, to fully simplify the integral.