Displaying change via 'slope'?

In summary, the conversation discusses using data to track improvement in running speed, distance, and duration. The speaker mentions using a set of numbers in Excel and calculating the slope to determine if the numbers are increasing over time. They also question the accuracy of this method and ask if there is a better way to track improvement.
hexa
I started running a few weeks back and I want to know if I'm improving speed-, distance- and duration-wise.

I have a set of data like these (this is bogus data), currently in Excel:
  1. 15
  2. 13
  3. 16
  4. 17
  5. 15
  6. 15
  7. 14
  8. 17
  9. 17

and I want to know if these numbers get larger with time. How would I do that. I calculated the slope with ongoing number on the x-axis and the changing value on the y-axis. If this is a correct way, what does that number actually tell me regarding the grade of improvement? Is there a much better way to do so?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Without knowing what generated these numbers it's impossible to know for sure whether or not they are getting larger, but you can still make a decent guess using slopes.

The way I would do it woudl be to calculate the slope between each point and take the average, you should get a good idea as to how the number set is behaving. Given how close your actual values are, though, and how few of them you have, it may not be terribly accureate, however.

Using the slope to display change in running speed, distance, and duration is a valid approach. The slope represents the rate of change over time, so a positive slope indicates an increase in the measured values while a negative slope indicates a decrease. In your case, a positive slope would indicate an improvement in your running speed, distance, and duration over time. However, it is important to note that the slope alone may not give a complete picture of your progress.

For example, if you have been running consistently for a few weeks, your initial increase in speed, distance, and duration may be larger compared to your progress in the following weeks. In this case, the slope may initially be steeper but may decrease over time as you reach a plateau in your improvement. Therefore, it is important to also consider other factors such as your overall fitness level, training plan, and any external factors that may affect your progress.

In addition to using the slope, you may also want to consider plotting your data on a line graph to visually see the changes over time. This can give you a better understanding of any patterns or trends in your progress.

Overall, using the slope to display change in your running speed, distance, and duration is a good starting point, but it should be supplemented with other information and factors to get a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of your improvement. Keep up the good work on your running journey!

Related to Displaying change via 'slope'?

1. What is the concept of "slope" in displaying change?

Slope is a measure of the steepness of a line on a graph. It represents the rate of change between two points on the graph.

2. How is slope calculated in displaying change?

Slope is calculated by dividing the change in the y-axis values by the change in the x-axis values between two points on the graph. This can also be represented as rise over run.

3. Why is "slope" a useful tool for displaying change?

"Slope" is a useful tool for displaying change because it gives a visual representation of the rate of change over time. It allows us to see if the change is gradual or rapid, and if it is increasing or decreasing.

4. How does the slope value indicate the direction of change?

The slope value indicates the direction of change based on its sign. A positive slope indicates an upward or increasing trend, while a negative slope indicates a downward or decreasing trend. A slope of zero indicates no change.

5. Is "slope" the only way to display change?

No, slope is not the only way to display change. Other methods include using a bar graph, pie chart, or scatter plot. The choice of which method to use depends on the data being presented and the message that needs to be conveyed.