Displacement x of simple harmonic oscillation

In summary, to find the displacement x when the kinetic energy K is equal to one-sixth of the potential energy U in a simple harmonic oscillation with an amplitude of A = 10 cm, we can use the equations KE = (1/6)U and U = (1/2)kx^2. Solving for x, we get x ≈ 0.0926 m.
deezy

Homework Statement

The amplitude of simple harmonic oscillation is A = 10 cm. Find a displacement x when K = 1/6 U. Here K is a kinetic energy and U is a potential energy.

Homework Equations

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2} k A^2[/tex]
[tex]U = \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure the correct method of doing this problem but here is what I have attempted based on an example from my notes:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{6} U[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2} k A^2 = \frac{1}{6} \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/tex]
[tex]A^2 = \frac{1}{6} x^2[/tex]
[tex](0.1)^2 = \frac{1}{6} x^2[/tex]
[tex]x \approx 0.24 m[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for kinetic energy isn't correct.

You also need another equation (or law) regarding energy.

This may be it, I think:

[tex]K = \frac{1}{6} U[/tex]
[tex]U = \frac{1}{2} kx^2[/tex]
[tex]KE = U + K = U + \frac{1}{6} U = \frac{7}{6} U = \frac {7}{6} \frac {1}{2} kx^2[/tex]
[tex]KE = \frac {1}{2} kA^2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2} kA^2 = \frac {7}{6} \frac {1}{2} kx^2[/tex]
[tex]A^2 = \frac{7}{6}x^2[/tex]
[tex](0.1)^2 = \frac {7}{6}x^2[/tex]
[tex]x \approx 0.0926 m [/tex]

Looks good.

By the way, what does KE stand for? In my first post, I mistakenly thought you were referring to the kinetic energy as KE is a common abbreviation for it.

I was using KE as the kinetic energy of the spring... wasn't sure if energy in a spring should be referred to as kinetic energy or just energy.

Should it just be E for energy?

You're using the approximation that the spring is massless, so it has no kinetic energy. It only has potential energy. Your KE is the total energy of the system.

Related to Displacement x of simple harmonic oscillation

1. What is displacement x in simple harmonic oscillation?

Displacement x in simple harmonic oscillation refers to the distance from the equilibrium position of an oscillating object at a given time. It is usually measured in meters (m).

2. How is displacement x related to amplitude in simple harmonic oscillation?

Displacement x and amplitude are directly proportional in simple harmonic oscillation. This means that as the amplitude increases, the displacement x also increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the formula for calculating displacement x in simple harmonic oscillation?

The formula for displacement x in simple harmonic oscillation is x = A*cos(ωt), where A is the amplitude and ω is the angular frequency.

4. How does the frequency of oscillation affect displacement x?

The frequency of oscillation does not affect displacement x in simple harmonic oscillation. The amplitude and angular frequency determine the displacement x, while the frequency only affects the speed and rate of oscillation.

5. How can displacement x be graphically represented in simple harmonic oscillation?

Displacement x can be graphically represented by a sinusoidal curve in a displacement-time graph. The peaks and valleys of the curve correspond to the maximum and minimum displacement, respectively, with the equilibrium position at the center of the graph.