Displacement operator, squeeze operator - problem interpreting notation....

In summary, the given problem involves proving two relations for the variables ##\zeta:=r e^{i\theta}##, ##|\alpha\rangle##, ##a##, and ##a^\dagger##. The first relation is ##D(\alpha)^\dagger a D(\alpha)=a+\mathbb{U}\alpha##, and the second relation is ##S(\zeta)^\dagger a S(\zeta)=a\cosh r-a^\dagger e^{i\theta}\sinh r##. These relations involve the Hadamard lemma and the commutator relation ##[a,a^\dagger]=1##, and both can be proven using the unity operator ##\
Emil_M

Homework Statement

Prove the following relations (for ##\zeta:=r e^{i\theta}##):
[tex]
\begin{align}
D(\alpha)^\dagger a D(\alpha)&=a+\alpha\\
S(\zeta)^\dagger a S(\zeta)&= a \cosh r- a^ \dagger e^{i\theta} \sinh r
\end{align}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

##|\alpha\rangle## is the coherent state. ##a## and ##a^\dagger## are the creation and annihilation operators. ##\alpha## is the eigenvalue of the annihilation operator.
Thus, ##a|\alpha\rangle=\alpha|\alpha\rangle##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really cannot attempt a solution here, because I don't seem understand expression (1). If ##a## is an operator, and ##\alpha## is a scalar, I really don't know how to interpret the expression ##a+\alpha##.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Identity operator times alpha?

Consider the relations
$$
e^ABe^{-A} = B + [A,B] + \frac{1}{2!}[A,[A,B]] + \frac{1}{3!}[A,[A,[A,B]]] + \ldots
$$
as well as ##[a,a^\dagger]=1##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Consider the relations
$$
e^ABe^{-A} = B + [A,B] + \frac{1}{2!}[A,[A,B]] + \frac{1}{3!}[A,[A,[A,B]]] + \ldots
$$
as well as ##[a,a^\dagger]=1##.

Thank you for your reply! I know the Hadamard lemma, as well as the commutator relation (with ##1## being the unity operator). I am just not sure how to add a scalar to an operator. Could DrDu be right in assuming the equation was meant to read

[tex]
D(\alpha)^\dagger a D(\alpha)=a+\mathbb{U}\alpha
[/tex]

with ##\mathbb{U}## being the unity operator?

Emil_M said:
Could DrDu be right in assuming the equation was meant to read

D(α)†aD(α)=a+UαD(α)†aD(α)=a+Uα​
D(\alpha)^\dagger a D(\alpha)=a+\mathbb{U}\alpha

with UU\mathbb{U} being the unity operator?
Yes he's completely right.

blue_leaf77 said:
Yes he's completely right.
Thanks,!

Related to Displacement operator, squeeze operator - problem interpreting notation....

What is a displacement operator?

A displacement operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the motion of a particle in a quantum system. It represents a change in the position of the particle and is denoted by the symbol "D".

What is a squeeze operator?

A squeeze operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the squeezing of a quantum state. It represents a change in the uncertainty of a particle's position and momentum and is denoted by the symbol "S".

What is the problem with interpreting the notation of these operators?

The problem with interpreting the notation of these operators is that they use non-intuitive symbols, "D" and "S", which can be confusing for those unfamiliar with quantum mechanics. Additionally, the mathematical equations used to represent these operators can be complex and difficult to understand.

What is the purpose of the displacement and squeeze operators?

The displacement and squeeze operators are used to describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems. They help us understand how a particle's position and momentum change over time and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

How are the displacement and squeeze operators related?

The displacement and squeeze operators are related through a mathematical operation called the Bogoliubov transformation. This transformation allows us to describe the behavior of quantum systems in terms of a new set of variables, which are related to the original variables by the displacement and squeeze operators.