Displacement of a particle moving on the xy axis?

In summary, by using the equation d = vi*t + 0.5(at^2), with the given values of vi = 1.74 ✕ 10^7 m/s, ax = 7.84 ✕ 10^14 m/s2, and ay = 1.51 ✕ 10^15 m/s2, we can determine the position of the electron at x = 0.0100 m to be y = 6.7358 ✕ 10^-5 m. Additionally, using the equation vf = vi + at, we can find the velocity of the electron to be 1.74 ✕ 10^7 m/s in the x-direction and 0 m/s
JessicaJ283782
As an example of the manipulation of an electron beam, consider an electron traveling away from the origin along the x-axis in the xy plane with initial velocity vi= vii. As it passes through the region x = 0 to x = d, the electron experiences acceleration a = axi + ayj, where ax and ay are constants. For the case vi = 1.74 ✕ 10^7 m/s, ax = 7.84 ✕ 10^14 m/s2, and ay = 1.51 ✕ 10^15 m/s2, determine the following, at x = d = 0.0100 m.

(a) the position of the electron (yf=?)So, I went through, and I used the equation d=vi*t+.5(at^2)

I plugged in: .01=1.74*10^7t+.5(7.84*10^14)t^2

I got the time to be 5.67458*10^-10

Now, I know you have to plug the time into an equation, along with the acceleration of y, but I am confused on which equation to use since you only know acceleration and time for the y coordinates?(b) the velocity of the electron

So, I used: vf=vi+at

vf(x)=5.67458*10^-10 X 7.84*10^14

and wouldn't you do the same for the y coordinates?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
a)
So at this point in time, you now need to find the y-coordinate of the electron. You know the acceleration in the y-direction. Can't you find an equations, which you could then use? Perhaps the very same equation, you just used to find the time, just with different parameters?

Actually you know the velocity of the electron in the y-direction it is 0 m/s, therefore v=1.74*10^7i+0j m/s
and a=7.84*10^14i+1.5*10^15j, you have solved for t and you know vi and ai so you can solve for y. You are almost there.

Related to Displacement of a particle moving on the xy axis?

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object or particle, measured from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity and is typically represented by the symbol Δx.

2. How is displacement calculated?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and final position of the particle. You can then use the formula Δx = xf - xi, where xf is the final position and xi is the initial position. The resulting displacement value will have both a magnitude (distance) and a direction.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement and distance are both measures of how far an object or particle has moved. However, displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the object's change in position, while distance is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of the object's movement.

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This indicates that the object or particle has moved in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if a particle starts at position 5 and ends at position 2, its displacement would be -3 units.

5. How does displacement relate to velocity?

Displacement and velocity are closely related. Velocity is defined as the rate of change of displacement over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast and in what direction an object is moving. This is represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt, where Δt is the change in time.