Displacement Meter- Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary, the given problem involves a forced harmonic oscillator with a sinusoidal driving force and the goal is to determine the range of the spring constant k for which the recorded relative displacement is less than 1.5 times the amplitude of the oscillation. The system is recorded on a rotating drum and the parameters given include the length of the metal rod (l1, l2, l3), mass (m), damping coefficient (c), and angular velocity (ω). The amplitude of the oscillation (b) and angular velocity (ω) are both related to the forced oscillation of the system. The solution involves finding the steady-state solution and using it to solve for k. Further research on harmonic oscillators, specifically with a sinus
dvep

Homework Statement

The figure attached shows the meter used to study the motion yB = bsinωt.
The motion of the mass relative to the frame is recorded on the drum.
If l1= 360 mm, l2= 480 mm, l3= 600 mm, m = 0.9 kg, c = 1.4 Ns/m and
ω = 10 rad/s, Determine the range of the spring constant k over which the magnitude of the recorded relative displacement is less than 1.5b. It is assumed that the ratio ω/ωn must remain greater than unity

Homework Equations

mx'' +cx' + kx = 0

w = sqrt(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

-m(w^2)bsinwt + cwbcoswt + kbsinwt = 0
cb(k/m)coswt = 0

This is what I've done so far, I am quite lost on this question am I at all on the right track?
Should I use the conservation of energy?

Attachments

• figure1.jpg
    figure1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help at all would would be appreciated with this, really stuck.

the recorded relative displacement is less than 1.5b.

1.5b

What is b ?

ω = 10 rad/s,

What is ω ? Where is it applied ?

Quinzio said:
1.5b

What is b ?

What is ω ? Where is it applied ?

b is the amplitude of the oscillation and [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity. what do you mean by where is it applied?

dvep said:
b is the amplitude of the oscillation and [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity. what do you mean by where is it applied?

[tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity of the rotating drum (see attached image above)

Skittles999 said:
[tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity of the rotating drum (see attached image above)

Naa, honestly I think the drum is just the equivalent of a modern oscilloscope. No one cares about the drum.
It could well be that ω is the angular velocity of the metal rod, which moves of small angles, but has a ω.

More simply, I think ω is the pulsation of the spring-mass system.

More mysterious is b. If I displace the mass m an then let it free to move, that displacement will be the biggest that will be recorded, because the system will generate a damped series of oscillation with decreasing amplitude.
So, what does it mean to keep the amplitude less than 1.5b ?Ah ok, wait a minute, what is the meaning of the Yb = bsin wt in the right bottom corner ?
It means that the whole system , the box is "shaken" with a movement like b sin wt.

Ok, now things make sense. So you got a forced oscillator, with a sinusoidal force.

You can look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator
section Sinusoidal driving force

Last edited:
Quinzio said:
Naa, honestly I think the drum is just the equivalent of a modern oscilloscope. No one cares about the drum.

Sorry, yes you are correct

Quinzio said:
It could well be that ω is the angular velocity of the metal rod, which moves of small angles, but has a ω.

More simply, I think ω is the pulsation of the spring-mass system.

More mysterious is b. If I displace the mass m an then let it free to move, that displacement will be the biggest that will be recorded, because the system will generate a damped series of oscillation with decreasing amplitude.
So, what does it mean to keep the amplitude less than 1.5b ?

Ah ok, wait a minute, what is the meaning of the Yb = bsin wt in the right bottom corner ?
It means that the whole system , the box is "shaken" with a movement like b sin wt.

Ok, now things make sense. So you got a forced oscillator, with a sinusoidal force.

You can look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator
section Sinusoidal driving force

Thanks for your reply.
I have a fair understanding of it, but still quite confused on how to do this problem and where all the different equations are coming from.
Do I find the steady-state solution and use that to find k?

any insight on this question?? I have a very similar question and can't seem to figure it out...

Related to Displacement Meter- Simple Harmonic Motion

1. What is a displacement meter?

A displacement meter is a scientific instrument used to measure the distance a body or object has moved from its equilibrium position. It is commonly used to study simple harmonic motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position.

2. How does a displacement meter work?

A displacement meter typically consists of a spring or pendulum attached to a body or object, and a scale or ruler to measure the distance of displacement. When the body is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring or pendulum will oscillate or move in a back-and-forth motion. The distance of this oscillation can then be measured using the scale or ruler, providing a measurement of the displacement.

3. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position. This means that the force pulling the body back to its equilibrium position increases as the displacement increases. Examples of simple harmonic motion include the swinging of a pendulum or the vibrations of a spring.

4. What are the applications of a displacement meter?

A displacement meter has various applications in scientific research and engineering. It is commonly used to study the properties of simple harmonic motion, which has practical applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and mechanical engineering. It can also be used to measure the amplitude and frequency of vibrations in structures, such as bridges or buildings.

5. How accurate is a displacement meter?

The accuracy of a displacement meter depends on various factors, including the design and calibration of the instrument, as well as external factors such as temperature and air resistance. Generally, a displacement meter can provide accurate measurements within a small margin of error, making it a reliable tool in scientific experiments and engineering applications.