Displacement & Average Velocity

In summary, a car travels at 40 km/hr for 1 hour and 60 km/hr for 2 hours. To find the total distance traveled, we use the formula 1 h x 40 km/hr + 2 h x 60 km/hr, which equals 160 km. To find the average velocity, we use the formula Δx/Δt, where Δx is the total distance traveled and Δt is the total time. Therefore, the average velocity is 160 km/3 h, which equals 53.33 km/hr. It is important to make sure that the units are consistent in order to get the correct answer.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A car travels in a straight line at 40 km/hr for 1 h and 60 km/hr for 2 h. A) How far does it travel? B) Find the average velocity.

Homework Equations

Average velocity = Δx/Δt (change in distance/change in time)

The Attempt at a Solution

In solving for A, I got (1 h x 40 m/hr + 2 h x 60 km/hr) = 160 km/hr

For B, this is where I'm confused. I know that if I try to arrange it as suggested in the formula (160 km/hr/2-1 h), wouldn't this just leave me with the remaining distance and eliminating the unit for time? Or would that be correct? I feel like it would not be though as the formula suggests, average velocity is defined by change in distance per change in time. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to A should have units of distance, not speed.

lewando said:
The answer to A should have units of distance, not speed.

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed that...Thanks a lot!

Violagirl said:

Homework Statement

A car travels in a straight line at 40 km/hr for 1 h and 60 km/hr for 2 h. A) How far does it travel? B) Find the average velocity.

Homework Equations

Average velocity = Δx/Δt (change in distance/change in time)
average velocity is total displacement divided by total time. The total distance divided by the total time is the average speed. Doesn't make any difference in this example, though.

The Attempt at a Solution

In solving for A, I got (1 h x 40 m/hr + 2 h x 60 km/hr) = 160 km/hr
right number, wrong units. You are solving for a distance.
For B, this is where I'm confused. I know that if I try to arrange it as suggested in the formula (160 km/hr/2-1 h), wouldn't this just leave me with the remaining distance and eliminating the unit for time? Or would that be correct? I feel like it would not be though as the formula suggests, average velocity is defined by change in distance per change in time. Any help is greatly appreciated!
check units! and welcome to PF!

You are correct in your calculation for the total distance traveled, which is 160 km. However, for the average velocity, you need to use the total time of 3 hours since the car is traveling at different speeds for a total of 3 hours. So the average velocity would be 160 km/3 hours = 53.33 km/hr. This represents the constant velocity that would have resulted in the same displacement as the varying velocities over the same time period.

Related to Displacement & Average Velocity

What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of the object. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude.

What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the ratio of an object's displacement to the time interval over which the displacement occurred. It is a vector quantity and is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

How is average velocity different from instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall velocity of an object over a specific time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated over a distance traveled, while instantaneous velocity is calculated at a specific point.

What are some factors that can affect an object's displacement and average velocity?

The displacement and average velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as the object's initial velocity, acceleration, and any external forces acting on it. The direction of motion and the shape of the path can also impact these quantities.