Displaced Axes Theorem- quick question.

In summary, the displaced axis theorem states that if a rigid body has a center of mass located at one point, and axes displaced from that point in x,y,z, then the moment of inertia about each axis is equal.
binbagsss
I am using the displaced axis theorem:

[itex]\hat{I}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{I}[/itex]com+M[itex]\hat{A}[/itex]

where [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]can be represented as a matrix, the elements of which are determined by:

[itex]A[/itex][itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]=|Rc[itex]^{2}[/itex]|δ[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] - Rc[itex]_{\alpha}[/itex]Rc[itex]_{\beta}[/itex]

I know that it is derived from substituting in rk=rk'+Rc into the definition of the moment of inertia tensor, where rk is the position vector of the of the kth particle of a rigid body from the point at which we are calculating I, Rc is the position vector of the centre of mass of the rigid body.

My question is, that if Rc only has a , x component , say, s.t Rc[itex]_{y}[/itex] and Rc[itex]_{z}[/itex]=0, then , looking at A, I attain 0 for all my matrix elements.

Picturing this, surely this can not be correct? - That [itex]\hat{I}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{I}[/itex]com when computing the moment of inertia about an axis displaced solely in x,y,z from an axis located at the bodies com.

Quick question on a similar note, looking at the expression of A, I am struggling to see how the last term yields a scalar, like the |Rc[itex]^{2}|[/itex]δ[itex]_{\alpha\beta}[/itex]. I know that [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] =x,y,z. But aren't Rc,[itex]\alpha[/itex] and Rc,[itex]\beta[/itex], rank one tensors, so that they are vectors.

Many thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this, greatly appreciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

binbagsss said:
if Rc only has a , x component , say, s.t Rc[itex]_{y}[/itex] and Rc[itex]_{z}[/itex]=0, then , looking at A, I attain 0 for all my matrix elements.
that's not true. not all the elements will be zero. it is true that A[itex]_{xx}[/itex] is zero, and any non-diagonal elements are zero.

Ohhhh ! I think I see, so considering Ayy and Azz, Ayy=Azz=|Rc^2| ?

yep, that's it!

thanks alot.

ah, no problem! it's interesting stuff.

Related to Displaced Axes Theorem- quick question.

1. What is the Displaced Axes Theorem?

The Displaced Axes Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that the coordinates of a point on a plane can be altered by adding or subtracting a constant value from one or both of the axes without changing the geometric properties of the shape.

2. How does the Displaced Axes Theorem work?

The Displaced Axes Theorem is based on the concept of translation, where a shape can be moved without rotating or changing its size. By displacing the axes, the coordinates of each point are shifted, but the relative distances and angles between points remain the same.

3. What are the practical applications of the Displaced Axes Theorem?

The Displaced Axes Theorem is commonly used in engineering and physics to simplify calculations and problem-solving. It can also be applied in computer graphics and animation to create smooth movements and transformations.

4. Are there any limitations to the Displaced Axes Theorem?

Yes, the Displaced Axes Theorem only applies to 2-dimensional shapes on a flat plane. It does not work for 3-dimensional shapes or curved surfaces.

5. How is the Displaced Axes Theorem related to other mathematical principles?

The Displaced Axes Theorem is closely related to the concept of isometry, which refers to transformations that preserve distance and angles. It is also related to the Cartesian coordinate system and the concept of translation in geometry.