Dispersion through an equilateral prism

In summary, the question involves finding the angular dispersion of white light incident at 45 degrees on an equilateral prism with refractive indices of 1.582 for red light and 1.633 for violet light. This can be achieved by using Snell's law and solving for the outgoing angles for each color, which can then be subtracted to find the angular dispersion. However, the incident angles at the second surface will need to be found using geometry.
SteveM-

Homework Statement

white light propagating in air is incident at 45 degrees on an equilateral prism Find the angular dispersion "gamma" of the outgoing beam if the prism has refractive indices n(red) = 1.582 and n(violet) = 1.633.
NOTE: "gamma" is just a variable for describing the angular dispersion.

Homework Equations

Snell's law n1sin(theta)=n2sin(theta)
adjusted for our purposes I came up with:

For incoming wight light:

n(air)sin(45) = n(red)*sin(theta(r1)) and n(air)sin(45) = n(violet)sin(theta(v))

solving these equations we can find our angles and use those to determine our outgoing theta for each wave:

n(red)sin(theta(r1)) = n(air)sin(theta(r2)) and

n(violet)sin(theta(v1))=n(air)sin(theta(v2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this seems like a simple plug and chuck, but the approach seems like it may be oversimplified, I think there may be some geometry somewhere that needs to be added, (i.e. should I add 45 degrees to the theta(r1) and use that degree value for the "theta(r1)" for the outgoing red beam angle?

Assuming I find the output angles then all I would need to do is take the difference of those angles to determine the angular dispersion "gamma"?

The given text available provides about half a paragraph talking about angular dispersion for the entire chapter on reflection and refraction, so if you guy's happen to know of any useful links I could refer to for FYI purposes, that would be appreciated as well, but in the mean time am I doing this correctly?

When I solved the numbers I basically got output angles of red and violate that were suspiciously close making the difference near zero... the only thing that seems correct is that my angle for red is above the angle for violate which is expected...

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveM- said:
For incoming wight light:

n(air)sin(45) = n(red)*sin(theta(r1)) and n(air)sin(45) = n(violet)sin(theta(v))
OK.

solving these equations we can find our angles and use those to determine our outgoing theta for each wave:

n(red)sin(theta(r1)) = n(air)sin(theta(r2)) and

n(violet)sin(theta(v1))=n(air)sin(theta(v2))
Instead of theta(r1) & theta(v1), which are angles with respect to the first surface normal, you need angles with respect to the second surface normal.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well this seems like a simple plug and chuck, but the approach seems like it may be oversimplified, I think there may be some geometry somewhere that needs to be added, (i.e. should I add 45 degrees to the theta(r1) and use that degree value for the "theta(r1)" for the outgoing red beam angle?
Yes, you'll need a bit of geometry to find the incident angles at the second surface. But why 45 degrees?

Right, that's the ambiguity that needed addressing, we'll in that case because this is a equilateral triangle the incident angle of the light on the interior of the prism should be equal the incoming angle being subtracted from the axis normal to the prism surface.

The reference of 45 degrees being added to the initial angle was purely arbitrary for example purposes.

Related to Dispersion through an equilateral prism

1. What is dispersion through an equilateral prism?

Dispersion through an equilateral prism refers to the phenomenon of separating white light into its component colors as it passes through a prism. This is due to the different wavelengths of light being refracted at different angles, causing the colors to spread out.

2. How does dispersion through an equilateral prism work?

When light enters an equilateral prism, it is refracted twice at different angles, causing the different wavelengths of light to bend at different angles and separate into their component colors. This is known as dispersion.

3. What is the purpose of using an equilateral prism for dispersion?

Equilateral prisms are used for dispersion because they have three equal sides and angles, which allows for equal refraction of light at each surface. This results in a more accurate and consistent separation of colors.

4. What are some real-world applications of dispersion through an equilateral prism?

Dispersion through an equilateral prism is used in many scientific instruments, such as spectrometers, to analyze the composition of light and identify different substances. It is also used in photography filters to create artistic effects and in prismatic lenses for correcting vision.

5. Can dispersion through an equilateral prism be reversed?

Yes, dispersion through an equilateral prism can be reversed by passing the dispersed light through a second equilateral prism in the opposite direction. This process is known as recombination and results in the reformation of white light.