Dispersion in for a free particle

In summary, dispersion in a free particle refers to the relationship between a particle's velocity and wavelength. It can cause a particle to spread out over time and space, and can be influenced by factors such as the type of particle, the medium it is traveling through, and external forces. Dispersion is directly related to a particle's energy, with higher energy particles having a larger dispersion. This phenomenon can be observed in everyday life, such as when white light is dispersed into the colors of the rainbow through a prism.
marcelnv
Hey,
I am trying to calculate the dispersions [itex]\Delta[/itex]P and [itex]\Delta[/itex]X for a free particle with definite momentum [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) = Aexp(ikx) where A is a normalization constant. This i get
[itex]\Delta[/itex]P = 0
[itex]\Delta[/itex]X = [itex]\infty[/itex]
What physical interpretation can I give to these results? Is is that the momentum is well specified and can always be obtained with certainty and that the position can be anywhere?
Also,
I am trying to solve the same problem for a free particle in the state
[itex]\Phi[/itex](x) = A*Cos(kx).
I get integrals involving sin and cos to be evaluated at [itex]\infty[/itex]. Using taylor expansion, i argue that
[itex]\Delta[/itex]P = [itex]\infty[/itex]
[itex]\Delta[/itex]X = [itex]\infty[/itex]

Am I correct?
The function [itex]\Phi[/itex](x) = A*Cos(kx) seems not to be normalizable to me, so should not be used to represent the state of a quantum mechanical system. What do you think?

Thanks

Marcel

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calculations are correct. The physical interpretation of the delta P and delta X values is that the momentum is well specified and can always be obtained with certainty, but the position can be anywhere. This is true for any free particle with a definite momentum. For the \Phi(x) = A*Cos(kx) state, it is not normalizable and hence cannot be used to represent the state of a quantum mechanical system. Normalizability is a requirement for any valid wavefunction.

Related to Dispersion in for a free particle

What is dispersion in a free particle?

Dispersion in a free particle refers to the phenomenon where a particle's velocity and wavelength are related in a specific way. This relationship is known as the dispersion relation and it varies depending on the type of particle and the medium it is traveling through.

How does dispersion affect the behavior of a free particle?

Dispersion can affect a free particle's behavior by causing it to spread out over time and space. This is due to the different velocities of particles within a group, causing them to travel at different speeds and directions.

What factors can influence the dispersion of a free particle?

The dispersion of a free particle can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type of particle, the medium it is traveling through, and any external forces acting on the particle.

What is the relationship between dispersion and energy in a free particle?

Dispersion in a free particle is directly related to its energy. A particle with higher energy will have a larger dispersion, meaning it will spread out more over time and space compared to a particle with lower energy.

Can dispersion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, dispersion can be observed in everyday life. For example, when white light passes through a prism, it is dispersed into the colors of the rainbow due to the different velocities of each color of light. This is also why we see different colors when looking at a rainbow or a soap bubble.