Dismembering Frames: Discover Reactions and Draw them

• Thread starter salman213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frames
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the reactions and internal forces of a frame by dismembering it. There is a discussion about how to determine the reactions and whether or not member ABC will have any reactions due to it. The conversation ends with uncertainty about how to approach the problem and a request for clarification on the problem statement.
salman213
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1233/fic06p099kb5.png

Ok Here is a frame

I have a FINAL comming up and was just wondering

IF i had to DISMEMBER frame AG

what would be the reactions...

like I know there will be Ax and Ay due to a PIN JOINT and Gx and Gy BUT ! -- Since there is a member ABC will there be any reactions due to it. And if so how would I draw them?

there is

AX AY, now is there A2X and A2Y because of member abc?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
salman213 said:
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1233/fic06p099kb5.png

Ok Here is a frame

I have a FINAL comming up and was just wondering

IF i had to DISMEMBER frame AG

what would be the reactions...

like I know there will be Ax and Ay due to a PIN JOINT and Gx and Gy BUT ! -- Since there is a member ABC will there be any reactions due to it. And if so how would I draw them?

there is

AX AY, now is there A2X and A2Y because of member abc?
You should always first determine reactions by looking at forces and moments external to the system, before you start dismembering the frame and looking at internal forces. So first calculate the reactions looking at the system as a whole. Then take apart the member AG and the forces at joint G will pop up at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi thanks for replying,..Ys i know i always look at it as a whole and solve for any reactions possible BUT I am just wondering what the reactions WOULD be... IF i dismember AG

salman213 said:
Hi thanks for replying,..Ys i know i always look at it as a whole and solve for any reactions possible BUT I am just wondering what the reactions WOULD be... IF i dismember AG
I'm sorry, I didn't give this problem enough thought. I incorrectly was assuming that after calculating the external reactions, it would be a simple matter to dismember the frame and calculate member forces on the the assumption that they would take axial loads only as in a truss. However, this is not the case, since there are bending moments and shears involved, such that, for example, there exists vertical shears and moments in the top horizontal member ABC, and it is not clear how the reaction forces at A would distribute at that joint. Right now, I'm going back to the drawing board, but my mind is blank. I hope someone else can shed some light.

Hey salman what's the problem statement? are you supposed to find only the reactions? the forces acting on each member? or the internal loading (shear, axial and bending diagrams) of each member?

Related to Dismembering Frames: Discover Reactions and Draw them

1. What is the purpose of dismembering frames?

The purpose of dismembering frames is to analyze and understand the reactions that occur within a structure. By breaking down the structure into smaller components, we can identify the forces acting on each individual part and determine the overall stability and strength of the structure.

2. How do you discover reactions when dismembering frames?

To discover reactions, we first need to isolate each individual frame and consider it as a free body. Then, we apply the principles of equilibrium and use equations such as Newton's Second Law and the equations of static equilibrium to determine the forces acting on each frame. This helps us identify the reactions at each support point.

3. What are some common types of reactions found in dismembered frames?

Some common types of reactions found in dismembered frames include axial forces, shear forces, and bending moments. These reactions are caused by external loads applied to the structure and the internal forces generated within the structure in response to these loads.

4. How do you draw reactions when dismembering frames?

To draw reactions when dismembering frames, we use a free body diagram for each individual frame. This diagram includes all the forces acting on the frame, such as external loads and reactions, and their corresponding directions and magnitudes. By drawing these reactions, we can visualize the forces acting on each frame and better understand the overall behavior of the structure.

5. Why is it important to dismember frames when analyzing structures?

Dismembering frames is important because it allows us to simplify complex structures into smaller, more manageable components. This makes it easier to analyze and determine the reactions and internal forces within a structure. By understanding the reactions, we can ensure that the structure is safe and able to withstand the external loads applied to it.