Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Thm problem

In summary: By what factor does its moment of inertia increase?Small disk MoI: I=Icm+ Md^2 I=1/2mr^2 + Md^2 I=1/2(70g)(7.2cm)^2 + (70g)(10.8cm)^2 I=9979.2 gcm^2Then I subtract 9979.2 from the 226800, still doesn't get me the right answer, what am I doing wrong?In summary, the question asks for the moment of inertia of a modified disk with a circular hole of radius 7.2 cm cut out of it, where the center of the hole is 10
engus18
Greetings everyone, been having some problems with this question,
A uniform circular disk has radius 36 cm and mass 350 g and its center is at the origin. Then a circular hole of radius 7.2 cm is cut out of it. The center of the hole is a distance 10.8 cm from the center of the disk. Find the moment of inertia of the modified disk about the origin.

Homework Equations

I=1/2mr^2
I=Icm+Md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know I need to find the MoI of the disk, and then find the MoI of the removed disk, and subtract. Have had problems with finding the MoI of the removed disk, here's my work:

Large disk MoI: 1/2(350g)(36cm^2) = 226800g/cm

Small disk mass: 70g, found from setting up a ratio 36/350=7.2/x
Small disk MoI: I=Icm+ Md^2
I=1/2mr^2 + Md^2
I=1/2(70g)(7.2cm)^2 + (70g)(10.8cm)^2
I=9979.2 gcm^2

Then I subtract 9979.2 from the 226800, still doesn't get me the right answer, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi engus18,

engus18 said:
Greetings everyone, been having some problems with this question,
A uniform circular disk has radius 36 cm and mass 350 g and its center is at the origin. Then a circular hole of radius 7.2 cm is cut out of it. The center of the hole is a distance 10.8 cm from the center of the disk. Find the moment of inertia of the modified disk about the origin.

Homework Equations

I=1/2mr^2
I=Icm+Md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I know I need to find the MoI of the disk, and then find the MoI of the removed disk, and subtract. Have had problems with finding the MoI of the removed disk, here's my work:

Large disk MoI: 1/2(350g)(36cm^2) = 226800g/cm

Small disk mass: 70g, found from setting up a ratio 36/350=7.2/x

I don't believe this ratio is correct. Think about what happens if you make a disk with double the radius. By what factor does its mass increase (assuming everything else is the same)?

for any help!

Dear student,

It seems like you are on the right track in your solution. However, there are a few errors in your calculations.

Firstly, the moment of inertia of the large disk should be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, as the disk is not rotating about its center of mass. This will give you a different value for the moment of inertia.

Secondly, when finding the moment of inertia of the small disk, you should use the formula I=1/2mr^2, as the small disk is rotating about its center of mass. Using the parallel axis theorem here would give you an incorrect value.

Once you have corrected these errors, you should be able to subtract the moment of inertia of the small disk from the moment of inertia of the large disk to get the moment of inertia of the modified disk.

I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Good luck!

Related to Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Thm problem

1. What is the Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem?

The Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the moment of inertia of a disk with a hole drilled through its center. This theorem is used to determine the distribution of mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem?

The moment of inertia for a Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem can be calculated by using the formula I = Icm + md2, where Icm is the moment of inertia of the disk without the hole and md2 is the moment of inertia of the hole.

3. What is the significance of the Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem?

The Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem is significant because it helps to understand the distribution of mass in rotating objects. It is also used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing vehicles and understanding the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia in a Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem?

The moment of inertia in a Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem is affected by the mass of the disk, the radius of the disk, and the radius of the hole. The moment of inertia will also differ depending on the axis of rotation chosen.

5. How is the Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem related to the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Disk with Hole Parallel Axis Theorem problem is a specific application of the Parallel Axis Theorem. This theorem states that the moment of inertia of a body about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia about a parallel axis through the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.