Disk with constant angular acceleration

In summary, the problem is asking for the number of additional revolutions needed to accelerate a disk from rest to an angular velocity of 3\omega with a constant angular acceleration of \alpha. The equations of rotational motion, such as rotational velocity given rotational acceleration and time, and rotational distance given rotational acceleration and time, should be used to solve the problem. It is best to work with symbols first before dealing with the numerical values.
Bad Vibration

Homework Statement

A disk is under constant angular acceleration [tex]\alpha[/tex]. When it starts from rest it takes 10 revolutions before it reaches angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex]. How many additional revolutions does it take to accelerate the disk further to an angular velocity of 3[tex]\omega[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 80, I just can't figure out why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physics forum,
you first need to show your calculations and then i can help you solve the problem.
these are pf rules

Begin by writing the basic equations of rotational motion that you should know (they are analogs of the usual equations of linear motion). One should be for the rotational velocity given rotational acceleration and time, the other should be for angular distance given rotational acceleration and time.

ashishsinghal said:
Welcome to physics forum,
you first need to show your calculations and then i can help you solve the problem.
these are pf rules

Thank you! I actually don't have any calculations, I'm stuck. I tried writing the acceleration as:

[tex]\alpha[/tex] = [tex]\omega[/tex] / 10 per revolution

And then use

[tex]\theta[/tex] = 10 revs + [tex]\omega[/tex] *t +1/2 * [tex]\omega[/tex]/10 [tex]t^{2}[/tex]

t = (3[tex]\omega[/tex]-[tex]\omega[/tex]) / [tex]\omega[/tex]/10

But I just end up confusing myself, because having the angular acceleration increase with 1 tenth of an omega per revolution instead of radians per second squared. It is such a simple problem but I keep on leading myself down strange blind allies.

Best to ignore the numbers to begin with and work with the symbols. So, deal with the equations first. What are the equations you think you might need? You're dealing with rotational distance, rotational velocity, and rotational acceleration.

Related to Disk with constant angular acceleration

What is a disk with constant angular acceleration?

A disk with constant angular acceleration is a rotating disk where the rate of change of its angular velocity remains constant. This means that the disk is increasing its rotational speed at a constant rate.

How is the angular acceleration of a disk calculated?

The angular acceleration of a disk can be calculated by dividing the change in its angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation alpha = (omega2 - omega1) / (t2 - t1), where alpha is the angular acceleration, omega is the angular velocity, and t is the time.

What are some real-life examples of a disk with constant angular acceleration?

A disk with constant angular acceleration can be seen in many objects, such as a spinning top, a rotating fan, or a rotating tire on a car. It is also commonly used in machines and devices that require constant and controlled rotation, such as motors and turbines.

What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity, while linear acceleration is the rate of change of linear velocity. Angular acceleration measures the change in rotational speed, while linear acceleration measures the change in straight-line speed.

How does the concept of torque relate to a disk with constant angular acceleration?

Torque, which is the measure of a force's ability to rotate an object, is an important concept when discussing a disk with constant angular acceleration. The greater the torque applied to the disk, the greater the angular acceleration will be. This relationship is represented by the equation alpha = torque / moment of inertia, where alpha is the angular acceleration, torque is the applied force, and moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.