Disk on a Plank Acceleration and Displacement Calculations

• Thread starter sjewenp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disk
In summary, the conversation discusses a disk on a plank scenario where a constant force is pulling the plank to the right and the disk is not slipping. The question asks for the accelerations of the system and the distance the coin will move before reaching the left end of the plank. The equations used involve the moment of inertia of the disk, torque, and force. However, the solution obtained did not make sense and there may be a missing fundamental concept.
sjewenp
disk on a plank -- HELP!

Homework Statement

a disk of mass M is sitting on a plank of length l and mass m. a constant force F is pulling the plank to the right. assuming no slipping what are the accelerations? how far to the right will the coin move before reaching the left end of the plank?

Homework Equations

Idisk=(1/2)MR^2
a=(alpha)R (no slipping parameter)
(tau)=I(alpha) (torque)
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not really sure how to set this up. i haven't even tried the second part yet, so unless someone is really giving, i don't expect help with it. anyway, i tried treating the system as just the disk, because the plank is (presumably) sitting on the ground. i set torque = RF-Rf (force pulling and friction force) and F-f=M*a. i solved this system of equations and got nonsense. apparently I'm missing something really fundamental here. sorry i don't have any pics. i hope the description is enough.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I have NO idea what your trying to say.
how far to the right will the coin move before reaching the left end of the plank?
huh?:confused:

as the plank is pulled, the coin rolls to the left, but the whole assembly is moving to the right. as the question is phrased, it wants to know how far to the right will the coin have moved when it falls off the plank.

Related to Disk on a Plank Acceleration and Displacement Calculations

1. What is a disk on a plank experiment?

A disk on a plank experiment is a physics experiment that involves studying the motion of a disk rolling down a plank. The experiment is used to demonstrate concepts such as rotational motion, friction, and energy conservation.

2. How do you conduct a disk on a plank experiment?

To conduct a disk on a plank experiment, you will need a plank of wood, a disk, and a measuring device. Place the plank at an inclined angle and release the disk from the top. Observe the motion of the disk and measure its speed at different points along the plank.

3. What is the purpose of a disk on a plank experiment?

The purpose of a disk on a plank experiment is to demonstrate and understand the principles of rotational motion, friction, and energy conservation. It also helps to improve our understanding of the laws of motion and how they apply to real-world situations.

4. What are the variables in a disk on a plank experiment?

The variables in a disk on a plank experiment include the angle of inclination of the plank, the mass and size of the disk, and the surface of the plank (smooth or rough). These variables can affect the motion of the disk and are important to consider when conducting the experiment.

5. What are some real-life applications of a disk on a plank experiment?

A disk on a plank experiment has many real-life applications, such as understanding the mechanics of rolling objects, designing and testing vehicles with wheels, and predicting the motion of objects on an inclined surface. It can also be used to study the effects of different surfaces on the motion of objects, such as a car's tires on a road.