Discriminants - When will a quadratic equation have 2 real solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses the general quadratic equation and its discriminant, which helps determine the number and nature of solutions. The discriminant is calculated using the formula \delta=b^{2}-4ac. If \delta < 0, there are no real solutions, while if \delta = 0, there is one solution. If \delta > 0, there are two solutions. The conversation also applies this concept to a specific equation, x^2 + (k-3)x + 9 = 0, and finds that if k=9, there is one solution, if k>9, there are two solutions, and if k<9, there are no real solutions. It is also mentioned that the discrimin
danago
Gold Member
Hey. I've got a question to solve, and I am a bit confused.

Consider the general quadratic equation:
[tex] x^2 +b x + c = 0 [/tex]

The quantity, [tex]\delta[/tex] is known as the discriminant of the equation, and is described as follows:

[tex]\delta=b^{2}-4ac[/tex]

Calculating [itex]\delta[/itex] gives us information about the number and nature of the solutions of the original equation.

For what values of [itex]\delta[/itex] will the equation have:
-2 real solutions
-1 real solution
-no real solutions?

Ok. I understand what the question is asking, i just don't know how to do it. I am oretty sure that if [itex]\delta < 0[/itex], thenthere are no real solutions, but I am not sure about 1 or 2 solutions. I played around with quadratic functions on my calculator, and didnt really get anywhere.

I then need to do the same with the equation:
[tex]x^{2}+(k-3)x+9=0[/tex]

And find the number of roots of the equation relative to the value of k.

If anyone could assist me, and guide me in the right direction, id appreciate it alot.

Thanks,
Dan.

EDIT: for some reason the LaTeX images arent showing up properly. Ill try to fix them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The discriminant comes from the follwoing equation:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/images/equations/QuadraticEquation/equation5.gif

The discriminant is the bit in the square root. Now if you have a discriminant of <0 you end up with square roots of negative numbers. Which don't exist in the real number system.

If the discriminant equals 0, what does the equations shown in above simplify down to (hint: what is plus/minus the square root of 0)?

From that you should be able to see why there are two solutions when the discriminant is >0.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok that makes sense to me. Thanks a lot for that.

The next part needs me to do the same with the equation:

x^2 + (k-3)x + 9 = 0

I found that:

if k=9, 1 solution
if k>9, 2 solutions
if k<9, no real solutions

Could someone check that and tell me if I am correct?

Last edited:
danago said:
ok that makes sense to me. Thanks a lot for that.

The next part needs me to do the same with the equation:

x^2 + (k-3)x + 9 = 0

I found that:

if k=9, 1 solution
if k>9, 2 solutions
if k<9, no real solutions

Could someone check that and tell me if I am correct?

Ok the discriminant of x^2 + (k-3)x + 9 = 0 (eq. 1) is:

(k-3)^2-36
Which can be expanded to : k^2-6k-27 (eq. 2)

Equation 2's discriminant is >0, which indicates that equation 2 has two solutions for 0, which indicates there are two possible values for k in equation 1. You have found only one value (k=9) when there is only one solution, when there is in fact another solution for k (hint: its a negative integer).

oh ok. I graphed it and found -3 to be the second solution. I didnt even think about a second solution at the time. Thanks for reminding me :)

Related to Discriminants - When will a quadratic equation have 2 real solutions

1. What is a discriminant in a quadratic equation?

A discriminant is a mathematical term used to determine the nature and number of solutions in a quadratic equation. It is represented by the symbol "b²-4ac" where "a", "b", and "c" are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form of ax²+bx+c=0.

2. How do you calculate the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation can be calculated by using the formula "b²-4ac". The value of the discriminant can then be used to determine the number and nature of solutions in the quadratic equation.

3. When will a quadratic equation have 2 real solutions?

A quadratic equation will have 2 real solutions if the value of the discriminant is positive. This means that the equation will have two distinct and real roots.

4. What does the discriminant tell us about the solutions of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation tells us the number and nature of solutions. If the discriminant is positive, there will be 2 real solutions. If the discriminant is zero, there will be 1 real solution. If the discriminant is negative, there will be 2 complex solutions.

5. Why is the discriminant important in solving quadratic equations?

The discriminant is important in solving quadratic equations because it helps us determine the number and nature of solutions. This information is crucial in finding the correct method to solve the equation and in understanding the behavior of the quadratic function.