Discretization of the Poisson Equation across Heterointerface

Taylor series to find the finite difference approximation of the Poisson equation at x = xb. This can be done by using the finite difference approximation for the first and second derivatives of the electric potential, and then applying the Neumann boundary condition at x = xb. This will help in generating an Ax=b matrix for the problem.
JasonW

Homework Statement

Consider a 1D sample, such that for x < xb the semiconductor has a dielectric constant [tex]\varepsilon_{1}[/tex], and for x > xb has a dielectric constant [tex]\varepsilon_{2}[/tex]. At the interface between the two semiconductor matierials (x = xb) there are no interface charges. Starting from the condition
[tex]\varepsilon_{1}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb} = \varepsilon_{2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb}[/tex]

and using Taylor series expansion for [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] around x = xb (for x < xb and x > xb), calculate the finite difference approximation of the Poisson equation at x = xb.

Homework Equations

Poisson Equation (In the form I think matters for the above problem)

[tex]\nabla^2\phi = -\frac{\rho}{\varepsilon}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First let me start off that I haven't been in school for nearly 20 years and I'm very rusty with math. I think there are two boundary conditions to this problem, the newmann boundary is the [tex]\varepsilon_{1}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb} = \varepsilon_{2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb}[/tex] and a dirichlet boundary at [tex]\rho = 0[/tex] when x=xb.

Now for the finite difference approximation I get

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\psi(x) = \frac{\psi(x + \Delta x) - \psi(x - \Delta x)}{2\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi(x) = \frac{\psi(x + \Delta x) - 2\psi(x) + \psi(x - \Delta x)}{2\Delta x^2}[/tex]

Now I am planning on generating an Ax=b matrix but I'm not sure how to apply the neumann boundary.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonW said:

Homework Statement

Consider a 1D sample, such that for x < xb the semiconductor has a dielectric constant [tex]\varepsilon_{1}[/tex], and for x > xb has a dielectric constant [tex]\varepsilon_{2}[/tex]. At the interface between the two semiconductor matierials (x = xb) there are no interface charges. Starting from the condition
[tex]\varepsilon_{1}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb} = \varepsilon_{2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb}[/tex]

and using Taylor series expansion for [tex]\varepsilon[/tex] around x = xb (for x < xb and x > xb), calculate the finite difference approximation of the Poisson equation at x = xb.

Homework Equations

Poisson Equation (In the form I think matters for the above problem)

[tex]\nabla^2\phi = -\frac{\rho}{\varepsilon}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First let me start off that I haven't been in school for nearly 20 years and I'm very rusty with math. I think there are two boundary conditions to this problem, the newmann boundary is the [tex]\varepsilon_{1}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb} = \varepsilon_{2}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}\mid_{x=xb}[/tex] and a dirichlet boundary at [tex]\rho = 0[/tex] when x=xb.

Now for the finite difference approximation I get

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\psi(x) = \frac{\psi(x + \Delta x) - \psi(x - \Delta x)}{2\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\psi(x) = \frac{\psi(x + \Delta x) - 2\psi(x) + \psi(x - \Delta x)}{2\Delta x^2}[/tex]

Now I am planning on generating an Ax=b matrix but I'm not sure how to apply the neumann boundary.

Any suggestions?

Yes in the equation you started Epsilon 1 = epsilon 2

Related to Discretization of the Poisson Equation across Heterointerface

1. What is the Poisson Equation?

The Poisson Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the electric potential and charge density in a region of space. It is commonly used in electrostatics and is a fundamental equation in physics and engineering.

2. What is discretization?

Discretization is the process of approximating a continuous function or equation by dividing it into smaller, discrete parts. In the context of the Poisson Equation, discretization is used to convert the continuous equation into a system of linear equations that can be solved numerically.

3. What is a heterointerface?

A heterointerface is a boundary or interface between two materials with different properties, such as electrical conductivity. In the context of the Poisson Equation, discretization across a heterointerface refers to the process of approximating the equation at this interface, which can be challenging due to the discontinuity in properties.

4. Why is discretization of the Poisson Equation important?

Discretization of the Poisson Equation is important because it allows for the numerical solution of the equation, which is often necessary in practical applications. It also allows for the incorporation of boundary conditions and heterointerfaces, making it a powerful tool in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science.

5. What are some methods used for discretization of the Poisson Equation across heterointerfaces?

Some commonly used methods for discretization of the Poisson Equation across heterointerfaces include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and boundary element methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method often depends on the specific problem being solved.