Best Schools for Mathematics and Theoretical Physics?

• Thread starter Jacob Chestnut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Academic
In summary, Jacob has excelled in academics and has many extracurricular activities. He is considering two universities, Caltech and MIT. Both universities have a strong reputation for research and have a high number of students who go on to graduate school.
Jacob Chestnut
Hello everyone,

I'm one semester away from transferring out of my current two-year school, and I'm looking for input on what Universities might be worthwhile to consider. I'll tell you a little about myself, and then I'd like to hear your opinions.

Upon completion of this program, I will have taken the first introductory series of physics courses (Classical mechanics, thermo, waves, optics, E & M, and circuits) out of the two volume Serway and Beichner "Physics For Scientists and Engineers" set. I've had very little trouble obtaining the top score in these classes and I've developed a close relationship with my instructor. Because of this, I'm sure I can get a really complimentary letter of recommendation.

In Mathematics, I'll have competed Calculus one and two, out of the Hughes-Hallet reform calculus book. This book was really, really, weak on the mathematical rigor and I've had to read other texts to make up the deficiency: I've thoroughly read Morrey's original "University Calculus" text, Anton's Calculus text, and I've browsed Stewart's book as well. I've completed a combination multivariable and vector calculus course, again taught out the reform book. During this class, I consulted Serge Lang's "Calculus of Many Variables," Div Grad and Curl, and Schaum's outline on vector analysis. After these calculus classes, I've taken a linear algebra course out of Anton's "Elementary Linear Algebra" text. In my final semester, I'll be taking a course in ODE's.

As with the physics courses, I've been able to achieve top score and I've developed strong relationships with the faculty ensuring very good recommendations.

I have a lot of extracurricular activities coupled with a 4.0 GPA. I'm the founding president of my college's math club, I've tutored all the above courses, and I've been a TA in a summer class.

My ultimate goal is be to a researcher in mathematics and theoretical physics, so I'm looking for schools, which are strong in both fields. I'll be attending graduate school after my four-year work, so preparation for that is a big priority. I've talked to my instructors, but I'm looking for some outside experience; hopefully from someone who has personally attended one of these schools, or has a high level of experience with the program or its graduates.

These are the schools I'm already considering:
UC Berkeley (I've already applied)
Harvey Mudd (This school was highly recommended)
Cal Tech
MIT
Stanford

If you have any comments about these schools, I'd love to hear them. Also, if you know of a school that is suitable I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out,
Jacob

Physics news on Phys.org
I just love Americans for being so driven in academia, thumbs up! I surely have learned a lot from seeing that..

I assume your from Massachusettes is that right? me too what school are u going to?

Originally posted by einsteinian77
I assume your from Massachusettes is that right? me too what school are u going to?

No, actually I'm from Santa Maria, which is located on the central coast of California. I'm about half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

oh yeah I just saw MIT when I scanned the schools and disregarded the rest.

MIT or Caltech.

Caltech is a more selective one though. Average of 1580 SATs in that school.

its true SAT's are very important to a lot of good schools

Originally posted by einsteinian77
its true SAT's are very important to a lot of good schools

I agree that SATs are an important measure of the quality of incoming students, but I was more interested in things like the number of students that enter top tier graduate schools upon graduation. Also the number of NSF fellowships awarded, the student faculty ratio, the quality of instruction and mathematical rigor. Another thing that would be good to know is if the various undergraduate programs have particularly strong relationships with any well known graduate schools.

Thanks,
Jacob

What is the best way to find academic advice?

The best way to find academic advice is to start by talking to your professors or academic advisors. They are familiar with your academic goals and can provide personalized advice. You can also reach out to other students who have taken similar courses or are in the same major as you. Additionally, many universities have peer tutoring programs or writing centers that offer academic support.

How do I know if the academic advice I receive is reliable?

It is important to consider the source of the academic advice you receive. Make sure the person giving the advice is qualified and has experience in the subject matter. You can also do some research to see if their advice aligns with other reputable sources. Ultimately, trust your own judgment and use critical thinking skills to evaluate the advice.

What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject or class?

If you are struggling with a particular subject or class, don't hesitate to seek out help. Talk to your professor or academic advisor to see if they can provide additional resources or support. You can also form study groups with classmates or seek out tutoring services. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

What is the importance of seeking academic advice?

Seeking academic advice can help you stay on track with your academic goals and improve your understanding of course material. It can also provide valuable insights and tips for success from experienced individuals. Seeking academic advice can also help you make informed decisions about your academic path and career goals.

How often should I seek academic advice?

The frequency of seeking academic advice may vary depending on your individual needs. It is recommended to meet with your academic advisor at least once a semester to discuss your academic progress and plan for future courses. However, if you are facing challenges or have specific questions, you may need to seek advice more frequently. Trust your instincts and reach out for help when you feel it is necessary.