Discrete time Derivative/Integration mechanisms in DSP.

In summary, my brother was trying to approximate a discrete time derivative as \frac{x[kT] -x[(k-1)T]}{T} . I had tried to do this too when I had first entered a DSP courses and forgot how I had made sense of the lack of this approximation technique.
X89codered89X
I was having a conversation with my brother, a mechanical engineer, about Digital Signals processing. I was trying to explain what I had recently done in my digital controls class, and how we would use the state space model [itex] \vec{x}(k+1) = {\bf{A_d}}\vec{x}(k) + {\bf{B_d}}u(k) [/itex] in discrete time systems in place of derivatives as in [itex] \vec{\dot{x}}(t) = {\bf{A}}\vec{x}(t) + {\bf{B}}u(t) [/itex]. I had multiple ways of explaining it to him. I could have explained that fundamentally, the discrete time solution to a differential equation is not [itex] e^{-{\sigma}Tk} [/itex] but rather [itex] {\gamma}^{kT} [/itex]. And actually this might have been a fair explanation, but I was trying to make it as intuitive as possible.

The problem was that my brother was attempting to approximate a discrete time derivative [itex] \dot{x} [/itex] as [itex] \frac{x[kT] -x[(k-1)T]}{T} [/itex]. I had tried to do this too when I had first entered a DSP courses and forgot how I had made sense of the lack of this approximation technique. At this point, I would personally use laplace and z transforms to come up with s-to-z plane transformation of [itex] s = \frac{1-z^{-1}}{T} [/itex] and come up a discrete time approximation. But explain this to someone without a background in DSP is fruitless and doesn't really even touch upon the heart of the matter. Can someone help me come up with an elegant explanation for why this approximation is not used, or rather, why a whole new solution family is used (e.g., [itex] {\gamma}^{kT} [/itex]).

PS. My brother tends to get confused by any math that may obfuscate the goal to be achieved, or what the math is being used to try to solve. This is understandable, but combining this with my limited communication skills (especially oral communication) makes it difficult to communicate complex engineering concepts. Help...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you are comparing apples-oranges.
Your discrete time model uses the output of delay elements as the state variables.
The continuous time model uses outputs of integrators as state variables.
Either can be used to solve a particular problem, but they are not equivalent to each other.
In other words your two models are not doing equivalent things.

If you want to use integrators as state variables (so that you can use the continuous time model) but are using discrete time then you can use the bilinear transformation to approximate the integrators. The bilinear transform is simply a trapezoidal rule integration of your discrete time variable.

I agree that delay operators and integrators are not the same mechanism, yet they manage to accomplish the same thing. How would you phrase this best?

[itex]\cdot[/itex]

X89codered89X
Integrators and delay elements are different physical mechanisms.

We can build integrators out of delays:
(z^-1)/(1-z^-1) rectangular rule integration (usually called an accumulator),
(1+z^-1)/(1-z^-1) trapezoidal rule integration (bilinear transform).
(both normalized to 1Hz clock)

The delay and the integrator each has its Laplace transform:
delay: z^-1 = e^(-sT) (T is clock period)
integrator: k/s (k is gain of integrator).

Use of integrators as state variables became popular in the 60s in analog ICs. Prior to this, analog filters used discrete precision LC components. IC developers realized that:
1 - monolithic opamps are cheap, and we can use them to make integrators.
2 - precision values are difficult to implement in IC.
3 - Use of integrators in a state variable topology allowed precision corner frequencies to be realized without precision component values.

Use of delays as state variables is standard in DSP for obvious reasons.

We typically model our descrete time systems using integrators when our clock frequency is very large compared to the corner frequencies. (Such as 100MHz clock used in a control system with corner frequencies in the KHz.)

So, summarizing, they are two different tools that can be employed to analyze systems, but are not doing exactly the same thing.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Last edited:

Related to Discrete time Derivative/Integration mechanisms in DSP.

1. What is a discrete time derivative in DSP?

A discrete time derivative in DSP (Digital Signal Processing) is a mathematical mechanism used to calculate the rate of change of a digital signal over time. It is an approximation of the continuous time derivative and involves calculating the difference between two consecutive samples of a signal and dividing it by the time interval between them.

2. How is a discrete time derivative different from a continuous time derivative?

A discrete time derivative is calculated using a digital signal, which is sampled at specific time intervals, whereas a continuous time derivative is calculated using a continuous signal. This means that a discrete time derivative is an approximation of the continuous time derivative and is only valid for a finite set of data points.

3. What is the purpose of using a discrete time derivative in DSP?

The main purpose of using a discrete time derivative in DSP is to analyze and process digital signals. It can be used for tasks such as detecting changes or trends in a signal, filtering out noise, and calculating velocity or acceleration of a moving object.

4. How is a discrete time derivative implemented in DSP systems?

A discrete time derivative can be implemented in DSP systems using various algorithms, such as the forward difference, backward difference, or central difference method. These algorithms involve calculating the difference between two consecutive samples of a signal and dividing it by the time interval between them to obtain the derivative value.

5. What is a discrete time integration in DSP?

A discrete time integration in DSP is a mathematical mechanism used to calculate the area under a digital signal over time. It is the inverse operation of a discrete time derivative and involves summing up the values of a signal over a specific time interval.