How Many Can Read Hex? You and the Dead Included

• Thread starter Anttech
  • Start date
In summary, Warren and chroot discuss the concept of reading hexidecimal numbers and how it relates to the number of people who can read hex. They determine that 57006 people can read hex based on the number 0xDEAD. They also mention the potential difficulty of using B!FF as a boundary identifier. Additionally, chroot jokes about creating a worse scenario involving a combination of B!FF and 0xDEAD, but notes that "I" is not a valid hexadecimal numeral.
Anttech
Question;

If you and dead people can read hex, how many people can read hex?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[itex]157255_8[/itex]

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
[itex]157255_8[/itex]

- Warren

Nope ;)

Are you sure?

- Warren

yep... read again,

ahh wait a min... :)

you almost got it...read again...

Heh, I'm dumb. Somehow I thought I pressed the 1 on my caculator, but I guess I didn't?

[tex]157256_8[/tex]

- Warren

hehe well done,

To be honest you are the quickest to get this I have seen, so i would say Dumb :)

Heh, just the other day I used 0xDEADBEEF as a boundary identifier in a program... that one's classic, man.

- Warren

lol... hehe very funny

Uh.

I don't get it.

It's based on hexidecimal numbers
0-F are digits so
0xDEAD=13*4096+14*256+10*16+13 base 10
so there are 0xDEAD+1 or 57006 people that can read hex.

Of course, it would be tougher if you got some B!FF in there:

If Biff and Dead people can read hex. How many people can read hex?

Now we have 0x1FB1FF + 0xDEAD people.

If I was feeling creative, I could probably concoct something even worse.

But "I" is not a valid hexadecimal numeral... :wink:

- Warren

1. How is "Hex" different from other numbering systems?

Hex, short for hexadecimal, is a base-16 numbering system commonly used in computer science and mathematics. Unlike the decimal system (base-10) which uses 10 digits (0-9), hex uses 16 digits (0-9 and A-F) to represent numbers. This makes it easier to represent and manipulate large numbers in a compact format.

2. How is reading "Hex" different from reading other numbering systems?

Reading hex numbers follows the same principles as reading other numbering systems, but it uses a different set of digits. For example, the hex number 15 is equivalent to the decimal number 21, and the hex number FF is equivalent to the decimal number 255. It may take some practice to become familiar with hex digits and their corresponding values.

3. Can anyone learn to read "Hex" or is it only for scientists?

Anyone can learn to read and understand hex numbers, not just scientists. It may be more commonly used in technical fields, but it is a valuable skill for anyone who wants to work with computers or data. There are plenty of resources available online or in books that can help you learn how to read hex numbers.

4. How does "Hex" relate to computer science?

Hex is used extensively in computer science because it is a compact and efficient way to represent numbers. Since computers use binary (base-2) as their primary numbering system, hex is often used as a shorthand for binary numbers. For example, the binary number 10101010 can be represented as AA in hex, making it easier for programmers to work with.

5. Why is it important to include the Dead when counting how many can read "Hex"?

The inclusion of the Dead in this question may refer to the ability to read hex numbers in different contexts, including historical contexts. Many ancient civilizations, such as the Maya and the Egyptians, used a base-20 numbering system which has similarities to hex. Therefore, understanding hex can also provide insight into how numbers were used and understood in the past.