Discrete Math Help: Is x Rational?

In summary, the problem involves finding a rational value for x when given three equations involving integers a, b, and c and nonzero real numbers x, y, and z. After solving for z, it was found that x can be expressed as a rational value in terms of a, b, and c. However, this solution may be incorrect due to errors in the calculation process. The conversation also suggests solving for x in terms of y or z to find a simpler equation in terms of x, a, b, and c only.
SpatialVacancy
Discrete Math Help!

Here is the problem:

Suppose a, b, and c are integers and x, y, and z are nonzero real numbers that satisfy the following equations:

[tex]\dfrac{xy}{x+y}=a [/tex] and [tex]\dfrac{xz}{x+z}=b [/tex] and [tex]\dfrac{yz}{y+z}=c [/tex].

Is x rational? If so, express it as a ratio of two integers.

I have calculated that [tex]x=\dfrac{-(bz-xz)}{b}[/tex]. I am inclined to answer no, since x, y, or z could be irrational.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hint:

first modify your equation to solve for x explicitly in terms of b and z ( x on one side , b and z terms on the other ).
then use the other two equations to come up with an expression for z and substitute that into your original equation.
Your goal is to try to solve for x in terms of a,b,c only... eliminating any z or y

Post your steps if you run into more trouble
Regards,
-MS

Last edited:
Ok, I solved and got this:

[tex]x=\dfrac{ay}{y-a}[/tex] and [tex]x=\dfrac{bz}{z-b}[/tex] and [tex]y=\dfrac{cz}{z-c}[/tex].

I then solved for z and got [tex]z=\dfrac{aby}{(a-b)y+ab}[/tex]. I just canceled the y's and was left with [tex]z=\dfrac{ab}{(a-b)+ab}[/tex].

I plugged this in for z in the second equation, and got [tex]z=\dfrac{b \dfrac{ab}{(a-b)+ab}}{\dfrac{ab}{(a-b)+ab}-b}[/tex]. This simplifies to [tex]\dfrac{ab}{b-ab}[/tex].

If this answer is correct, I would say that yes, x is indeed rational. Am I correct?

Last edited:
Where did the x come from in the third equation (top right) , and where did the y go? That completely changes the problem so the rest is all wrong.

Also, for
[tex]z=\dfrac{aby}{(a-b)y+ab}[/tex] you can't cancel the y's, because y is not a factor of the denominator.
If the denominator was instead [itex](a-b)y + aby[/itex] then you could factor out the y which could become [itex]y((a-b) + ab)[/itex] and the y's could cancel
(do you see the difference? )

Another thing: in your result,,, you solved for z (although incorrectly). The equation asks if X is rational... so how does knowing whether or not Z is rational help you?
edit:
based on your equation relating x to z you could use the fact that z is rational to prove that x is rational providing you knew that theorem, but this seems like more trouble than its worth why not just solve for x. /edit

Your going to have to solve for x in terms of y or z, and then solve for either y or z using the other equations to come up with an equation in terms of x, a, b, and c only

-MS

Last edited:

Related to Discrete Math Help: Is x Rational?

What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and can be defined as the study of mathematical structures that are countable or can be enumerated in a finite amount of time.

What is a rational number?

A rational number is any number that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. It can also be written in decimal form, either as a terminating decimal or a repeating decimal.

How do you determine if x is a rational number?

If x is a fraction of two integers, then it is a rational number. Another way to determine if x is rational is to convert it to decimal form. If the decimal form is either terminating or repeating, then x is a rational number.

What is the difference between a rational and an irrational number?

A rational number can be expressed as a fraction of two integers, while an irrational number cannot. Irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be written as a fraction and have an infinite number of non-repeating decimal places.

Why is it important to understand rational numbers in discrete math?

Rational numbers play a crucial role in discrete math as they are used to represent and analyze discrete structures such as graphs, networks, and algorithms. They also help in solving problems related to counting, probability, and decision-making in discrete systems.